open excel file in word

G

I have an application that use’s VBA for Word that opens an Excel file in Word and then cuts & pastes from the Excel data to a Word template. Works fine in Office 2000. In Office 2003 it works fine on one computer but not on another. One the that works I get a msgbox asking – This file needs to be opened by the Microsoft Excel Worksheet text Converter – when I choose ‘Yes’ the file is converted and things work. On the other computer I get a window ‘File Conversion’. Select the encoding that makes your document readable. Of chooses available the Excel file is converted to an unreadable junk.

What am I doing wrong, what settings have I missed?

Both computers using:
Windows XP Pro (SP1)
Office 2003

Thanks

S

Stephen Bullen

Hi Paul,
I have an application that use’s VBA for Word that opens an Excel file in Word and then cuts & pastes from the Excel data to
a Word template. Works fine in Office 2000. In Office 2003 it works fine on one computer but not on another. One the that works
I get a msgbox asking – This file needs to be opened by the Microsoft Excel Worksheet text Converter – when I choose
‘Yes’ the file is converted and things work. On the other computer I get a window ‘File Conversion’. Select the
encoding that makes your document readable. Of chooses available the Excel file is converted to an unreadable junk.
What am I doing wrong, what settings have I missed?

I would imagine that on the computer giving the error, you haven't installed the appropriate converter. I suggest you ask this
question in one of the Public.Word newsgroups instead of the Excel one.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

Ask a Question