ONLY TODAY: Free CrossOver download

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
In July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license – launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or political goal by January 20, 2009.

The goals focused on President Bush making specific positive accomplishments in areas such as the economy, home values, the stock market, the war on terror and other key issues. Specifically, one goal called for President Bush to help down bring average gasoline prices in the Twin Cities to $2.79 a gallon.

On Monday, Oct. 14, gas prices in Minneapolis and St. Paul did just that.

"That morning, I was filling my tank at Big Steve's Gas Palace in St. Paul," said Jeremy White, president and CEO of CodeWeavers. "I had just finished my morning corn dog and 64-ounce Dr. Pepper when I looked at the pump and noticed gas was at $2.79. I screamed ‘Woohoo,' then I yelled ‘Oh, crap!' as I realized every American can now have my software for free. Kind of upsets my fourth quarter revenue projections..."

White admits this is not how he foresaw the Challenge unfolding.

"I launched the campaign to inspire President Bush to make the most of his final days in office. Who knew that our Challenge would have this kind of impact on the country?" White said. "On the other hand, who knew that the economy would implode, causing oil demand to drop into the abyss and gas prices to plummet as well. Clearly, investigating Bear Stearns, AIG and those guys is misplaced – CodeWeavers is responsible for this mess. So it's free software for all!"

How to Get the Free Software
On Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2008, any one visiting the CodeWeavers' Web site (www.codeweavers.com) will be given a deal code that will entitle them to one free copy of CodeWeavers' award-winning CrossOver software. Each copy comes complete with support.

"I realize that by giving away all my software, I've caused horrific damage to my company's bottom line," White said. "In fact, our vice president of sales wretched Starbucks all over his shirt when he learned the news. But, I figure, the way the economy is going, in a few months everyone might be out on the streets, wearing potato sacks and standing in line for squirrel soup, so why not?"

White also noted that if other Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge goals are met, CodeWeavers will once again provide free software. Goals include:

• Return the stock market to it's 2008 high
  • Reduce the average price of a gallon of milk to $3.50
  • Create at least one net job in the U.S. this calendar year
  • Return the median home price to its Jan. 1, 2008 level
  • Bring Osama Bin-Laden to justice

http://www.codeweavers.com/about/general/press/20081027/

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossOver )

laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

The main site is down. Its a good promotion. I wonder how long he left the site up for before it was taken down. ;)

Attachments

• 2008-10-28_112425.png
    2008-10-28_112425.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 403

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Urmas :thumb: Just tried for a Linux one now :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
the servers must have been swamped when I first tried but I got through and am now waiting for me code to arrive.

attachment.php

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:D

Attachments

• 2008-10-28_115930.png
    2008-10-28_115930.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 415
Reaction score
Seems everybody and their brother in-law is trying to get on the site..I've been trying for a while and yet to get on it..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bowdown.gif
Urmas yer a star me old china
bowdown.gif

Got me code but have not managed to connect to their site for the download yet. Will try later. Every man and his dog will be trying today.

Penguins live for free !

:D:cool:

Reaction score
I'm screwed then as my BB internet connection is lost every day from 1500.:mad:
Virgin service is little better than 56k after this time!:mad::mad:
The quicker we change to Sky the better!!!!
nod.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Due to the high volume of traffic for the Lame Duck Challenge Free Offer, we have temporarily disabled the CodeWeavers main website.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We still love Digg, even if our server disagrees. ;-)

Click Here to get your serial number for CrossOver.

Full Version Downloads

For today only, we are putting up fully unlocked builds.
You will be able to unlock your serial number that was emailed to you for an extended time, (an additional 48 hours), due to this downtime. We will simply stop giving out new serial numbers at 23:59 (Midnight) Central Standard Time.

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Cheers Urmas. By gum them folks at CodeWeavers move fast that site is being updated faster than I can type.

Code and e-mail arrived. Downloading program now at 4kb/sec.
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas which one is the best to get ??

Crossover Games Linux

Crossover Linux Pro

:confused:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Depends... I dunno; I have no need for Windoze apps. If you want to try Windoze games with Linux, grab games... for M$ Office etc, take Pro. Methinks. I guess.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I downloaded the Pro version. Here's how to install it. (In Ubuntu -- Mandy doesn't use "sudo", so do "su" first. Also: check the name of the package you've downloaded. Mine is "install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh".)

Once you get it downloaded open up a Terminal window, go to the folder where you saved it, and run
Code:
sudo -H sh install-crossover-pro-7.1.0.sh

That will install the software for you, then just let it run the install wizard once the installation is finished or you can launch it from the new menu area that you will find
under Applications

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice one Urmas :thumb:

I've downloaded Crossover Games Linux and Crossover Linux Pro, I got my serial number this morning (it be 20:47 in UK right now).

I'm thinking just Windows Games in Linux so I assume the Games one would be the one to go for?

Unless the serial number works in both?

But I don't think there is much Windows software I'd want to run in Linux, with the possible exception of DVD Shrink. Is there a free version of WINE that would do that?

I notice that Crossover is based on WINE.

Only loaded linux Distro I have atm is Mint, which actually recognises all my hardware. I've added a printer to that machine but haven't booted Linux on it since adding the printer, I wonder if it will auto-detect? It's an HP inkjet 7960.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Nice one Urmas :thumb:

I've downloaded Crossover Games Linux and Crossover Linux Pro, I got my serial number this morning (it be 20:47 in UK right now).

I'm thinking just Windows Games in Linux so I assume the Games one would be the one to go for?

Unless the serial number works in both?

But I don't think there is much Windows software I'd want to run in Linux, with the possible exception of DVD Shrink. Is there a free version of WINE that would do that?

I notice that Crossover is based on WINE.

Only loaded linux Distro I have atm is Mint, which actually recognises all my hardware. I've added a printer to that machine but haven't booted Linux on it since adding the printer, I wonder if it will auto-detect? It's an HP inkjet 7960.

I'm sure that I gave you this link in anotyher thread.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1533

DVD Shrink gets a Platinum rateing which means it should work just fine under Wine.

The Pro version is tested rigourously for stability so it may not have all the latest bells and whistles. The Games version is re issued pretty frequntly and so may have minor flaws.

Also the Pro version allows multple users of the program the Games version limits you to one user.

If you look at the Wine application database you will see some very useful day to day programs in the Platinum section. You may be suprised.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Now you have it installed Urmas can you tell us if you can use the Pro to play games ? I'm guessing you can.

No melted cables here. I got the windows open just in case.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I'm sure that I gave you this link in anotyher thread.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1533

Quite possibly. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with a photographic memory, sorry bout that.

Abarbarian said:
If you look at the Wine application database you will see some very useful day to day programs in the Platinum section. You may be suprised.

I have and I'm not :D It's good. If it works. Works with the computer I'm using, that is, before somebody tells me it does.

Ask a Question