Offline Files don't all synchronize

G

I use offline files to keep synchronized sets of all files in My Documents on my laptop and my desktop. I synchronize when the two computers are networked together, using the syncrhonization dialog. It seemed to be going as expected, but I recently noted that some directories and files did not transfer. These were NOT the prohibited types (.dbf, etc.), but just some routine word or excel documents and their file folders. Does anyone know what the problem is? Also, I used to use Laplink to do something like this - it took a lot longer, but there was a log of the files synchronized. Is there any way to monitor the synchronization process more closely to be sure that changed files are not missed? Any good resources on this functionality (Offline files). Also, I am thinking about encrypting offline files on the laptop, but now I'm worried it is not acting properly. Anyone out there who successfully uses offline files to "mirror" two machines and who uses encryption? Many thanks.

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

My advice, as usual, is to ditch offline files and go with a cheap and
cheerful third party app - www.centered.com

I've seen too much heartache with offline files. This product is a lot
easier.

J

Jeffrey Randow (MVP)

For that, I use an automated robocopy script to keep things backed
up... (I actually do this for an offsite backup of a server
containing 60GB of data over a DSL line - Robocopy will only copy
changed files).

Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
(e-mail address removed)

Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
be answered depending on time availability....

Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

G

Thanks for mentioning Second Copy 2000. I downloaded it and am using it succesfully. I gave up fiddling with XP offline files after spending the past couple weeks fighting with it.

I like the Second Copy 2000 product, but frankly would prefer to purchase a non share ware product. Would you know of any other similar products ?

Thanks

Ask a Question