Offline files and broadband

Tim Brown

We have several users who use WXP SP2 laptops over broadband. They have
reported an issue with offline files which trys to synchronise, fails and
then attempts to connect periodically after the first attemtp. This only
happens when they are physically connected via the LAN connection or over
the wireless connection to a broadband connection. They do have the option
to connect to our VPN which allows synchronisation but the VPN has to be
started after the initial logon or from the logon prompt but this is not
always convenient. It would appear that even if the options of synchronise
at logon and logoff are disabled the OS will still attempt to connect.

Any ideas?

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Tim,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your description, the problem seems that the Offline Files try to
synchronize, fails and then attempts periodically. If the options of
synchronization at logon and logoff are disabled, the OS will still attempt
to connect. Is this right?

Based on your situation, could you describe the situation detailed? Do you
use Folder Redirection? Does the issue occur on all laptops which use
Offline Files function?

In addition, I suspect you may have received some error messages when the
synchronization of Offline Files fails. Would you please send me a screen
shot of the error message so that I can perform further research?

To take a screen shot:
---------------------
1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
appears.
2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
Click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
My mailbox: (e-mail address removed)

I also suggest that you try the following steps when the system is offline.
You can unplug the network cable to make the computer offline. Simply
delete the hidden %SystemRoot%\CSC folder and restart the computer. After
the system is back online, the CSC folder structure is rebuilt.
230738: How to Restart the Offline Files Cache/Database
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=230738

Reference:
312171: How To Configure Offline Files to Synchronize When a Particular
Network Connection Becomes Active
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312171

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Tim Brown" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Offline files and broadband
| Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:13:57 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| We have several users who use WXP SP2 laptops over broadband. They have
| reported an issue with offline files which trys to synchronise, fails and
| then attempts to connect periodically after the first attemtp. This only
| happens when they are physically connected via the LAN connection or over
| the wireless connection to a broadband connection. They do have the
option
| to connect to our VPN which allows synchronisation but the VPN has to be
| started after the initial logon or from the logon prompt but this is not
| always convenient. It would appear that even if the options of
synchronise
| at logon and logoff are disabled the OS will still attempt to connect.
|
| Any ideas?

Tim Brown

The user will connect their laptop to a broadband device, start the laptop
and login with a local profile.

It would seem that as soon as the network connection (cable or wireless)
detects a broadband connection the CSC will attempt to synchronise then
fails, it will then attempt synchronisation periodically. Also, a pop up
message informs the user that they are no longer connected to the server.
Folder redirection is enabled. I have found some articles which explain
what is going on

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290523

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317487

It would appear that it is caused by the Media sense detection system for
the NIC. Maybe my only workaround is to tell the users that they must
connect to our VPN and manually synchronise.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your response and thanks for your experience sharing!

Good to know we find the root cause. Actually, Windows contains the "Media
Sensing" feature. You may use this feature on a Windows-based computer
using Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to detect
whether your network media is in a "link state." A "link state" is defined
as the physical media connecting or inserting itself on the network. For
example, assuming a 10bt or 100bt physical media, Ethernet network adapters
and hubs typically have a "link" light to indicate the current connection
status. This is the same condition in which Windows can detect a link.
Whenever Windows detects a "down" state on the media, it removes the bound
protocols from that adapter until it is detected as "up" again. There may
be situations where you may not want your network adapter to detect this
state, and you can configure this by editing the registry.

For current situation, if you would like to disable "Media Sensing"
feature, the following article may be helpful:
239924: How to disable Media Sensing for TCP/IP in Windows

Hope that helps!

> [...]

| > offline.
| > You can unplug the network cable to make the computer offline. Simply
| > delete the hidden %SystemRoot%\CSC folder and restart the computer.
After
| > the system is back online, the CSC folder structure is rebuilt.
| > 230738: How to Restart the Offline Files Cache/Database
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=230738
| >
| > Reference:
| > 312171: How To Configure Offline Files to Synchronize When a Particular
| > Network Connection Becomes Active
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312171
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | We have several users who use WXP SP2 laptops over broadband. They
have
| > | reported an issue with offline files which trys to synchronise, fails
| > and
| > | then attempts to connect periodically after the first attemtp. This
| > only
| > | happens when they are physically connected via the LAN connection or
| > over
| > | the wireless connection to a broadband connection. They do have the
| > option
| > | to connect to our VPN which allows synchronisation but the VPN has to
be
| > | started after the initial logon or from the logon prompt but this is
not
| > | always convenient. It would appear that even if the options of
| > synchronise
| > | at logon and logoff are disabled the OS will still attempt to connect.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |