Offline files synchronisation

Tim Brown

We have a problem with an offline folders issue. What we want to do is
allow users with WXP SP1 laptops to choose which folders/files they want
synchronised from their redirected drive. To establish this we have enabled
the Do not automatically make redirected folders available offline group
policy which allows the users to choose which folders to synchronise. This
seems to work fine when accessing the folders offline, however, it has been
reported that when a user connects to our network via VPN the preselected
offline folders start to disappear one by one. Then when disconnected from
the VPN all preselected folders are no longer available.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your posting.

Please try the following steps to check.

1. While connected to the LAN and all network connections are active - do a
normal SHUTDOWN
2. Remove the LAN cable and connect the Internet connection cable
3. Start XP and logon locally using cached credentials
4. Start VPN Dialer
5. When connected to the LAN open Explore.
6. In the left side of the Explore click the + sign next to the I drive.
7. In the left side of the Explore highlight the folder DAT which is
located on the server - this causes all the files located in the DAT folder
to be shown in the right side of Explore
8. Now we disconnect the internet connection cable from the XP Workstation
and wait about 30 seconds until the VPN Dialer displays that it has lost
the connection. At the same time the Explore announce that it has lost the
connection to offline drive
9. Now we reconnect the cable and wait until the interface has got a new IP
address and then we start the VPN tunnel again.
10. After the connection is re-established we look in the Explore window
(We did not close this while we were disconnected)

Please check the connectibility of the offline folder.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.