Office 97 on Windows XP

Hotmail Mike

I am trying to install my trusty suite Office 97
on my new computer. However, I get an error
message that states, "Office 97 not successfully installed."
That's it. No other details.

When I Google "Office 97 Windows XP", the
articles that come up all deal with upgrading a
computer to XP. What I have is a new computer
that came with XP already installed.

Any knowledge base articles or websites would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you own any Office 97 CD, you can purchase an upgrade version
of the new Office 2003.

Products that qualify for the Office 2003 upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832288

How to Buy Office 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/standard.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| I am trying to install my trusty suite Office 97
| on my new computer. However, I get an error
| message that states, "Office 97 not successfully installed."
| That's it. No other details.
|
| When I Google "Office 97 Windows XP", the
| articles that come up all deal with upgrading a
| computer to XP. What I have is a new computer
| that came with XP already installed.
|
| Any knowledge base articles or websites would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Michael

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/13/2005 9:14:05 PM

Hotmail Mike

| "Hotmail Mike said:
|
| I am trying to install my trusty suite Office 97
| on my new computer. However, I get an error
| message that states, "Office 97 not successfully installed."
| That's it. No other details.
|
| When I Google "Office 97 Windows XP", the
| articles that come up all deal with upgrading a
| computer to XP. What I have is a new computer
| that came with XP already installed.
|
| Any knowledge base articles or websites would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Michael

If you own any Office 97 CD, you can purchase an upgrade version
of the new Office 2003.

Products that qualify for the Office 2003 upgrade
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832288

How to Buy Office 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/standard.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Thank you for the information. However, aside from the fact I
do not have the funds to purchase an upgrade, I have no desire
to do so. Office 97 has all of the functions that I need. Is there
a way to install Office 97 on Windows XP?

David Candy

Of course there is idiot. You just need to find out what's wrong with your compiter. Install office using the /g parameter.

something like

setup /g "c:\officeinstalllog.txt"

Hotmail Mike

David Candy said:
Of course there is idiot. You just need to find out what's wrong with your
compiter. Install office using the /g parameter.

something like

setup /g "c:\officeinstalllog.txt"

Thank you for the information. Also, please explain to me
how it is that someone who is unable to spell would want
to call another an idiot? Actually, don't bother. The
explanation can't be worthwhile.

David Candy

Because MS stole money off me and gave me a fuked keyboard. I typed that previous message about 10 times before it looked good enough.

David Candy

And as to why you are an idiot..., "Is there a way ... ?" Of course there is. Why wouldn't there be? You want to assume. That's how assumers get treated.

David R. Norton MVP

Hotmail Mike said:
Thank you for the information. However, aside from the fact I
do not have the funds to purchase an upgrade, I have no desire
to do so. Office 97 has all of the functions that I need.

The "do not have the funds" part I understand perfectly! I also happen
to like Office 97 better than later versions, probably because I'm more
familiar with it? Anyway, on to your question.
Is there a way to install Office 97 on Windows XP?

Prossibly not to your satisfaction. Office 97 tries to do some things
that the file protection improvements in SP2 for Windows XP won't
allow.

If you could remove SP2, you could do so and then install Office 97,
install all the SRs and upgrades and then re-install SP2 but since your
new computer came with XP installed I'm betting it came with SP2 as
well so it probably can't be removed, right?

Next thing to try is to do a custom install of Office 97 and make sure
ALL the HTML functions are NOT selected, that will allow it to install
but you'll lose the HTML function and you won't be able to add SR2 so
that's not entirely satisfactory.

There IS a work around that may or may not work for you but give this a
try:

Bob Buckland ?:) May 9, 11:16 am

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.office.setup
From: "Bob Buckland

MS Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) disabled the
HTMLMarq.ocx (active x control) for security reasons.

If you're not going to use the web page features you
can do a custom install and choose to not install the
Web Authoring tools or use the following technique
(not a MS supported one)

to modify both .ocx files whose names start with HTMLm
in this registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image
File Execution Options

from .ocx to .old

This article has information on modifying the registry
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3227­56

Bob I

To spell it out for you, that "list" is a bunch of links leading to the
page that says what is valid for that product. Click and read.