Offer Remote Assistance for single user connected to the Internet

Stephen Lo

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

I read this in a article:
"offer remote assistance only works when the computers of the Novice and
Expert belong to the same domain or a trusting domain"

My friend and i live in different parts of a city with a single computer
with WinXP Pro SP2 connected to the Internet via the SAME ISP. Could i
offer an unsolicited remote assistance to him ?

Thank you !!

Sooner Al [MVP]

Stephen Lo said:
I read this in a article:
"offer remote assistance only works when the computers of the Novice and
Expert belong to the same domain or a trusting domain"

My friend and i live in different parts of a city with a single computer
with WinXP Pro SP2 connected to the Internet via the SAME ISP. Could i
offer an unsolicited remote assistance to him ?

Thank you !!

No you need to use either the messenger, email or file methods.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

Sooner Al said:
No you need to use either the messenger, email or file methods.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

I forgot to add that I am using a program called TeamViewer to provide
remote support to a couple of family members. I works very well even over a
56K dial link which one of my sister-in-laws uses. In fact I find it faster
than Remote Assistance. Its free for personal use. You might try it as an
alternative to Remote Assistance...

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Yes, you can assign your friend as remote user. but you need to know your
public IP address. if you are using router at your home should open remote
port 3389 point to your PC local IP address.