.NET 2.0 problem: 100% cpu usage in mscorwks.dll!CreateApplicationContext

Alex Chudnovsky

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Hi,

I've come across with a problem that results in 100% CPU usage in code
inside framework itself, specifically process explorer shows that the
offending thread is mscorwks.dll!CreateApplicationContext - it shows
that this thread is making a lot of context switches without doing any
obvious.

I've had similar problem in .NET 1.1 SP1, and I found knowledge base
article saying that this is a problem in the framework, basically
something fails in critical section and it snags completely - there is
apparently a hot fix for it, but to get these is such a problem then it
was easier to upgrade to .NET 2.0, however now I see very similar
problem in it as well :-/

The problem occurs randomly, no obvious reasons but it does seem to
happen with frightening regularity. I have found at least one other
person on the net with the same problem, but no responses to his queries.

Just in case it helps here is the stack trace that I see in process
explorer for that thread:

ntkrnlpa.exe+0x6d98b
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x2b2b6
hal.dll!HalClearSoftwareInterrupt+0x342

OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 running on AMD Athlon x2 3800 (actual CPU usage
is 50% as it hogs one core out of two, but I've seen it getting both of
them too).

I think this is a pretty serious flaw that needs some attention from
Microsoft folk.

regards,

Alex

P.S. I do not monitor this group all the time, so if response more than
a week after this post please email me.