Of Watermarks and Themes

G

[before you post your boilerplate response to this kind of question, Stefan :

I have some pages I created in an earlier version of FP that both employ the watermark feature AND use a custome theme (also created in the earlier version, but updated in this one). I didn't have to do any kind of workaround to get this to happen. It was independently selectable

Now, with version 2002 SP-2, I cannot seem to determine how to turn the same watermark feature on for NEW pages that are using that same theme (or any theme for that matter). And in any case, some I'd like to watermark, some not -- so I don't really WANT to tie the capability into a theme, if possible

An aside: Why did MS remove the ability to use the watermark feature discreetly (separate from a theme). And why is it so hard to figure out how to even use it at all with a theme (I don't know how Stefan could have figured out how to do it)? This kind of software/interface design just doesn't make sense to me. I can't even turn the feature OFF on themed pages that already have it on, for example

It is a nice feature. If I could only find it again

So, assuming discreet watermark control is no longer possible, would the best workaround be TWO otherwise identical themes -- one with the watermark feature added and one without? Or an upgrade to Frontpage XP, where this bizarre anomaly MUST have already been dealt with more effectively

Regards
-Dou

W

Wally S

I thought the boilerplate remark was uncalled for. If you don't like
Stefan's advice, then don't use it, but I have found his answers helpful on
many occasions.

Wally

D VanOrnum said:
[before you post your boilerplate response to this kind of question, Stefan :)

I have some pages I created in an earlier version of FP that both employ
the watermark feature AND use a custome theme (also created in the earlier
version, but updated in this one). I didn't have to do any kind of
workaround to get this to happen. It was independently selectable.
Now, with version 2002 SP-2, I cannot seem to determine how to turn the
same watermark feature on for NEW pages that are using that same theme (or
any theme for that matter). And in any case, some I'd like to watermark,
some not -- so I don't really WANT to tie the capability into a theme, if
possible.
An aside: Why did MS remove the ability to use the watermark feature
discreetly (separate from a theme). And why is it so hard to figure out how
to even use it at all with a theme (I don't know how Stefan could have
figured out how to do it)? This kind of software/interface design just
doesn't make sense to me. I can't even turn the feature OFF on themed pages
that already have it on, for example.
It is a nice feature. If I could only find it again.

So, assuming discreet watermark control is no longer possible, would the
best workaround be TWO otherwise identical themes -- one with the watermark
feature added and one without? Or an upgrade to Frontpage XP, where this
bizarre anomaly MUST have already been dealt with more effectively?

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Have no idea what boiler plate you are talking about (other than using the F1 KEY)
- the solution to the same issue will always be the same response if that is the only one that works

FP2003 has changed the way it stores and handles themes and it applies themes using CSS
- you need to copy your old themes to your system folder or upgrade your custom themes in FP 2003 and remove/reapply your them for
FP203 to recognize it
For the details see http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html

You would need 2 custom versions of the theme if you only want watermarked backgrounds on some pages (or apply the theme w/o a
background image for pages you don't want it on)

The process for adding a "watermark" to all pages using the theme remains unchanged (since FP2000) once you have opened the theme
for editing using Format Theme Customize (from the theme preview dropdown in the Theme Task Pane)
Select Text - select More Text Styles
Select the body tag and then Modify | Border | Shading and select:
Repeat - no-repeat, Attachment - fixed, Vertical Position - center, Horizontal Position - center
OK|OK|OK|OK & Save As a new theme name and apply

--

| [before you post your boilerplate response to this kind of question, Stefan :)
|
| I have some pages I created in an earlier version of FP that both employ the watermark feature AND use a custome theme (also
created in the earlier version, but updated in this one). I didn't have to do any kind of workaround to get this to happen. It was
independently selectable.
|
| Now, with version 2002 SP-2, I cannot seem to determine how to turn the same watermark feature on for NEW pages that are using
that same theme (or any theme for that matter). And in any case, some I'd like to watermark, some not -- so I don't really WANT to
tie the capability into a theme, if possible.
|
| An aside: Why did MS remove the ability to use the watermark feature discreetly (separate from a theme). And why is it so hard to
figure out how to even use it at all with a theme (I don't know how Stefan could have figured out how to do it)? This kind of
software/interface design just doesn't make sense to me. I can't even turn the feature OFF on themed pages that already have it on,
for example.
|
| It is a nice feature. If I could only find it again.
|
| So, assuming discreet watermark control is no longer possible, would the best workaround be TWO otherwise identical themes -- one
with the watermark feature added and one without? Or an upgrade to Frontpage XP, where this bizarre anomaly MUST have already been
dealt with more effectively?
|
| Regards,
| -Doug
|

Ask a Question