Odd happenings...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Three things, all in the space of a couple of hours, on my main computer

1) Window pops up advising me that Bluetooth wasn't installed and I would have to install software for access to be granted.

2) I receive an e-mail from Steam saying somebody has requested to view all Steam accounts linked to the email address I use with Steam

3) Windows 7 throws up a window telling me my activation code is invalid and I'd either have to buy a new one or activate current install over the phone. I tried entering original code from the box the disk came in but no go. So I went through the phone procedure and all was ok.

But what's going on? Anybody have any ideas?

I'm on a network of three hard wired machines and my daughter accesses the router via wireless for her notebook. Router security is set so outsiders can't access it.

I'm stumped - and a little worried.

Reaction score
I have had a strange thing happen to my PC also floppy, both internal drives wiped for no apparent reason.:cry:

Reaction score
Because of our slow internet speed i have had our ISP check the line etc.
Seems due to the distance from the telephone exchange they suggest we go fibre optic.
Sounds good, until they then tell us they dont do it in our area!!!:rolleyes:
So we are stuffed at 0.5MB speed but pay for a 4MB speed!:mad:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
On Thursday my daughter's PC died and a pal of mine found some strange messages appearing across his screen. He has a feeling that he has acquired a nasty virus.

Strange, they both happened at about the same time. :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Have you tried all the usual virus scans etc Flops, just to be sure?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have you tried all the usual virus scans etc Flops, just to be sure?

Um, well no, actually :blush:

I is getting too complacent.

I've changed my Steam password, may change email address as well.

The bluetooth may have been somebody in a nearby flat trying to access their own computer.

And the only thing on my main computer hardware-wise that I've messed with is I disconnected both storage HDD's whilst I ran a diagnostic tool on another hard disk with a temporary connection.

Unfortunately when I reconnected storage drives I got them round the wrong way. Then remapped all links to software and games before twigging I should have just swapped sata ports to original setup.

Sometimes I am such a dufus :confused:

Anyhoo, thanks for feedback all, will run MSE & Malwarebytes right now.

Just out of interest today's email scam has been..... somebody masquerading as Apple requesting I update my Apple ID details. Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Do you use Steam Guard? If not why not!? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
As long as its on and your email and steam passwords are different. you should be pretty well covered. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have given up count on the amount of times I have had Windows 7 tell me it is not genuine :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MSE found this: Nasty and removed it.

Well I never, stay virus-free for so long a person can get a little over-confident.

Updated Malwarebytes (137 days worth of updates), scanned, it found nothing.

So, fingers crossed. Steam and email passwords are different btw, me no daft, me no silly, me..... ahem.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Little bugger! Thats another thing worth checking, is your Java up to date?

Ask a Question