Odd CRC errors and File verification failures in XP

Hop-Frog

My computer's about 1 yr old, WinXP Home (SP-1), P4 1.8GHz processor,
512Mb RAM, a CD-RW, and a DVD-ROM drive. WinXP's on a 15Gb partition of
an 80Gb IDE drive.

Everything operated beautifully until a couple months ago (a day before a
2 month summer research trip, which is why I'm just getting around to
posting about this now). Suddenly, I'm getting odd CRC and verification
errors. I can use QuickSFV to produce a SFV file on a set of files, then
immediately double-click the SFV to verify them again--and get every one
turning up bad! Then I double-click a second time, and get them all
showing up fine!

It seems to be fairly random whether a file checks out good or bad on any
given try. I've gone to various websites and manually checked the CRC's
in the SFV file against values stored on the web, and find that they're
correct. Furthermore, files downloaded from Usenet and checked against
SFV's also gotten from Usenet NEVER get the odd behavior.

Every potential solution I've tried has failed: reinstalling software,
changing software, updating drivers, even buying a new CD-RW drive
(though the behavior happens as often on the HD as on CD). All cables
are securely and properly connected. All jumpers are in the right
positions. I even restored my XP partition completely from a DriveImage
backup (to a time prior to the behavior's appearance), but it's still
around.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to find a solution to this soon, as
without reliable CRC checking, I can't backup anything to CD and be
certain it's a good backup.

Incidentally, in searching this group for info, I found this thread:
similar issue, but there's no resolution listed there.

Hop-Frog

For got to add: the only thing I *haven't* done that *might* resolve the
issue is to flash my BIOS to the lastest version. I'm understandably wary
of doing that, though, since a CRC error during flashing could royally @#%#
up the whole system.