data transfer errors between internal drives.

Reaction score
Ok, this is the situation:

I have 2 physical drives and 4 logical drives. None of the drives have bad sectors. All the drives are defragmented.

I have a large archive and *.sfv for it on one partition. I tried to extract it to another partition and received crc error.

I have verified the checksum and integrity of the rar file on the original drive where it resides and both checked out. I tried to extract the file to the drive where it is located and it was (seams) fine.

Further testing shows:
1) I have calculated checksums of several *.rar files (40-80MB) and transferred them to another logic partition (same physical) and another physical drive. Checksum check failed on 90% of files transferred so I don't even bother trying to extract them.

2) I have made copy of files mentioned above in another folder on the same logical volume. I could not extract files or get checksums to match.

3) I tried extracting files directly which works, however I am not sure if extracted files are fine since archives contain media (at first sight they seam fine and run).

4) I have tried all of the above with all volumes. I may have missed a permutation and some volumes have no archives, only media. Damage to rar files I could find however seams to consistently happen on all drives that contain them.

It appears that any attempt to transfer files between volumes, physical or otherwise, creates errors in files. I have very faint idea about what this could mean.

My thoughts are:
Memory issues. (tricky at the moment, no device to make bootable memtest CD)
IDE controller damage. (no idea how to test)
Several heads are damaged. (no idea how to test)
Encrypting virus of some sort? (checked for viruses as well)

Any thoughts on how I could proceed? Pleas help.

Ask a Question