odd context menue (right-click menue)

LJB

I'm not sure how to describe the problem I'm having. Some items that used to
be on my "file right-click" menu have moved to the Explorer window File
menu. Some items appear in both places but only the Explorer window File
menu entry works. I have an "Open Target Folder" item in both locations but
from the file right-click menu nothing happens. Other items work fine in
both locations. I recently installed an item to add VBS file editing to the
context menu, from http://tinyurl.com/2zdnco, but it never showed up there.
It did show up under File and it works fine. I've used that tool for several
years under Win2k where it added itself to the context menu.

thanks
LJB

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi LJB,

Issues of this kind are often caused by third-party shell extensions. You may be able to isolate the problem (by finding the offending shell extension) using the excellent ShellExView tool. For more details, see "Method 2" in the following link, ignoring the page title.

"LJB" <.> wrote in message I'm not sure how to describe the problem I'm having. Some items that used to
be on my "file right-click" menu have moved to the Explorer window File
menu. Some items appear in both places but only the Explorer window File
menu entry works. I have an "Open Target Folder" item in both locations but
from the file right-click menu nothing happens. Other items work fine in
both locations. I recently installed an item to add VBS file editing to the
context menu, from http://tinyurl.com/2zdnco, but it never showed up there.
It did show up under File and it works fine. I've used that tool for several
years under Win2k where it added itself to the context menu.

thanks
LJB

LJB

Excellent suggestion! I especially liked the idea of disabling half the
shell extensions and then re-enabling half of those to quickly find the one
problem item. I found that someone had installed the Win 95 Powertoy
shellfix.dll. Disabling that one corrected all the others.

thanks
LJB

[...]

Glad you got this straightened out, LJB.
Thanks for the update!