ODBC error exporting contacts to Excel

• Thread starter Vin Fichter via OfficeKB.com
  • Start date
V

Vin Fichter via OfficeKB.com

I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Excel 2003 (both are part of Microsoft Office 2003) with the Microsoft XP Pro operating system. I created a special "Folder" containing only those particular Contacts from Outlook I wanted to export to an Excel spreadsheet. Here are the steps I followed to do the export, as instructed by Microsoft's Support pages: In Outlook I clicked on "File"; then "Import and Export"; then "Export to a file"; then "Next"; then in the folder list clicked on the name of the special Contacts folder I had created to export; then clicked "Next"; then browsed to the folder location in which to save the exported ".xls" file; then typed the name for that file, then clicked "OK", then clicked "Next"; then clicked "Map Custom Fields"; then dragged, from the left side box to the right side box, those fields I wanted to export into the .xls spreadsheet file (a total of only 12 fields end up on the right side); then clicked "Finish". The exporting starts, but in just a few seconds the following message appears on screen and the hour glass appears continuously: "Translation Error. An ODBC error has occurred in the Microsoft Excel translator while sending field map information to a translator. [Microsoft] [ODBC Excel Driver] Too many fields defined." This is puzzling for, so I am informed by a very knowledgeable-computer programmer friend, it should be able to export that many fields, and more, without a problem. I have experimented: the largest number of fields which will export successfully without the error message appearing is 7. I have searched the Microsoft support databases for this but it is not there. Is there any way to either fix, or do a work-around for, this problem so I can export more than only 7 fields of information to create an Excel spreadsheet file? Thank you.

Ask a Question