NTFS vs FAT32 when upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP

I currently am using Windows 2000 and am thinking about converting my Files
System from FAT32 to NTFS to save hard drive space. If I do that, will it
have a negative impact when I upgrade to Windows XP? Will Windows XP install
on my hardrive (single partition) if it is usisng NTFS?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Actually, Windows XP installs and performs best
on a drive formatted NTFS. See the following:

Benchmarking on Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

NTFS Preinstallation and Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/winpreinst/ntfs-preinstall.mspx

Read the following before proceeding:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

[Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]

Note: You'll need to purchase the "Retail Upograde Version"
of Windows XP Professional in order to upgrade over your
existing Windows 2000 installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I currently am using Windows 2000 and am thinking about converting my Files
| System from FAT32 to NTFS to save hard drive space. If I do that, will it
| have a negative impact when I upgrade to Windows XP? Will Windows XP install
| on my hardrive (single partition) if it is usisng NTFS?

Not Me

NTFS is the standard for XP. No negative effect on an upgrade to XP.
Last question=Yes.
Gene K

Thank everyone for their help and input. I do still wonder if using the
Windows 2000 conversion to NTFS will require "reconverting" using the Windows
XP version of NTFS? What will happen to my applications and data if I do
that? Can I do that once I have converted using Windows 2000 convert?

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Paul said:
Thank everyone for their help and input. I do still wonder if using
the Windows 2000 conversion to NTFS will require "reconverting" using
the Windows XP version of NTFS? What will happen to my applications
and data if I do that? Can I do that once I have converted using
Windows 2000 convert?

There's no such thing as "the Windows XP version of NTFS" you weetard.

Ken Blake

In
Paul said:
I currently am using Windows 2000 and am thinking about
converting my
Files System from FAT32 to NTFS to save hard drive space. If I
do
that, will it have a negative impact when I upgrade to Windows
XP?

No.

Will Windows XP install on my hardrive (single partition) if it
is
usisng NTFS?

Yes. As a matter of fact, NTFS is the preferred file system for
Windows XP.

Read the response from Carey Frisch (MVP) and the links she provided. It
discusses two levels of NTFS with the Win XP convert being more refined that
the Windows 2000 convert.

No need to get "pissy", I don't presume to have all the answers or I
wouldn't be asking the question.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Miss said:
There's no such thing as "the Windows XP version of NTFS" you weetard.
Hi

Note that WinXP uses NTFS v3.1 while Win2k have NTFS v3.0:

From: Mike Brannigan [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: NTFS 5.1?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general
Date: 2004-07-13 07:14:17 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]

<quote>
The NTFS version numbers are different.
you can see them by usung the fsutil command
e.g. fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
on a Windows XP system returns Version 3.1

NTFS Versions
Windwos 2000 - NTFS Version 3.0
Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 - NTFS Verions 3.1
</quote>

Okay,

What is your take on my question about using the Windows 2000 Convert (NTFS
3.0)? Will I need or is it recommended to "reconvert" to NTFS 3.1? Can this
be done? What will happen to the applications and data on the hard drive?

From: Mike Brannigan [MSFT] ([email protected])
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general
Date: 2004-07-13 07:14:17 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]

<quote>
The NTFS version numbers are different.
you can see them by usung the fsutil command
e.g. fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
on a Windows XP system returns Version 3.1

NTFS Versions
Windwos 2000 - NTFS Version 3.0
Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 - NTFS Verions 3.1
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Yves Leclerc

XP would normally "auto-convert" to 3.1. This is why you would need to have
Windows 2000 with the latest service pack. Once XP "auto-converts" NTFS to
3.1, Windows 2000 will not be directly able to read the converted partition
(unless the latest service pack was installed in Windows 2000)

As with any major change, always backup your important data. You never
know....

From: Mike Brannigan [MSFT] ([email protected])
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general
Date: 2004-07-13 07:14:17 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/[email protected]

<quote>
The NTFS version numbers are different.
you can see them by usung the fsutil command
e.g. fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
on a Windows XP system returns Version 3.1

NTFS Versions
Windwos 2000 - NTFS Version 3.0
Windows XP & Windows Server 2003 - NTFS Verions 3.1
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

CS

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:43:02 -0800, "Paul"

Paul:

I believe that Win2K with SP4 installed uses the same version of NTFS
(3.1) as does XP. I dual boot between Win2K and XP and have no
problem reading the NTFS partitions of XP when I'm using Win2K.

And by the way, Carey (the MVP) is male not female.

From: Mike Brannigan [MSFT] ([email protected])
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general
Date: 2004-07-13 07:14:17 PST

CS said:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:43:02 -0800, "Paul"

Paul:

I believe that Win2K with SP4 installed uses the same version
of NTFS (3.1) as does XP.

The local drive on my Win2k SP4 computer is still NTFS v3.0.

I dual boot between Win2K and XP and have no
problem reading the NTFS partitions of XP when I'm using Win2K.

You don't need the same NTFS version to be able to do this.

Alex Nichol

Paul said:
I currently am using Windows 2000 and am thinking about converting my Files
System from FAT32 to NTFS to save hard drive space. If I do that, will it
have a negative impact when I upgrade to Windows XP? Will Windows XP install
on my hardrive (single partition) if it is usisng NTFS?

It will be fine - it will update the version of NTFS used to the
slightly later one used in XP.

Tom

But there is no file system from MS that
the MS Explorer can navigate (well) when there are
a lot of files in a folder structure.

Right?

I assume, hope that it is an Explorer problem, since my program
suffers no delay accessing the file structure.

To reproduce:
Create 2 tiers of folders.
Place, say, 100,000 files into the second level folder.
Now ask Explorer to simply open the 2nd level folders.

...the operation will take several minutes, even though the
list is relatively small.

Explorer is (wrongly) enumerating the actually files, it seems.

Why?

Steve N.

CS said:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:43:02 -0800, "Paul"

Paul:

I believe that Win2K with SP4 installed uses the same version of NTFS
(3.1) as does XP. I dual boot between Win2K and XP and have no
problem reading the NTFS partitions of XP when I'm using Win2K.

I think you may be confusing NT 4.0 needing its SP4 to be able to read
NTFS that ships with Win2K/XP.

Steve