notice of problem with new Ad-Aware version 1.04

Jim Macklin

Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
problem.
Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.

Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)

R. McCarty

Interesting Jim, I downloaded the update earlier this afternoon.
It asked to uninstall 1.03, then finished up. I ran a scan and had
no problems. I'll try the update on a couple of VPC's and see if
they have issues.

Jim Macklin

I don't know why it did what it did. But the program
stopped working/scanning at 38,000 files in the registry.
When trying to abort the CPU went to 100%.

The computer was running just fine and as fast as normal
since updated to SP2 on Aug 23.

message
| Interesting Jim, I downloaded the update earlier this
afternoon.
| It asked to uninstall 1.03, then finished up. I ran a scan
and had
| no problems. I'll try the update on a couple of VPC's and
see if
| they have issues.

in message
| | > Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
| > Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| > Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| > removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| > 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| > Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| > case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| > problem.
| > Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >
| > Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)
| >

| > --

Bryan Martin

Try doing this in safemode and see what happens. Mabe something is locking
a file.

Malke

Jim said:
Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
problem.
Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.

Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)
Yes, Randy sent another note that there is apparently a problem with the
new build. I'm holding off on using it until I hear it is OK.

Malke

Peter

Mine from Major Geeks works fine too. There are lots of posts about it in
the Lavasoft forums.

Richard Urban

Jim,

I just downloaded it from Major Geeks. It installed and scanned 135,000
files on my C: and D: drives - through to completion.

Go figure!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Jim Macklin

I guess it may be a problem for some configurations and not
others. When I ran it it seemed that it didn't really scan
to the 38,000 files, it just seemed to get there real fast
and then stop. I'll try it again in a few days. Another
poster said there was a pretty good thread on the lavasoft
forum, I'll check that out.

in message | Jim,

| I just downloaded it from Major Geeks. It installed and
scanned 135,000
| files on my C: and D: drives - through to completion.
|
| Go figure!
|
| --
| Regards:
|
| Richard Urban
|
| aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

in message
| | > Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
| > Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| > Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| > removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| > 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| > Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| > case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| > problem.
| > Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >
| > Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)
| >

| > --

Gimpy

Jim Macklin said:
Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link. Install
removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at about
38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks in
case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
problem.
Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.

Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)

Had the same problem as you Jim, mine froze at about the same point.
Tried downloading from 2 different places including MajorGeeks & both
did the same thing... Went back to 1.03 as well... Let us know if you
hear any reason as to why. Gimpy

Jim Macklin

Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
problem. It may be a problem with users or software
conflicts.

If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep scans,
or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but those
that do...

wrote in message
| >> Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| >> Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| >> removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| >> 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| >> Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| >> case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| >> problem.
| >> Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >>
| >> Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Jim Macklin

that isn't the problem, have run checkdisk with full scans,
it is a hot topic on the Lavasoft forums. They added some
new scan engine changes and that is where it seems to be
getting hung up.

There may be some interaction with installed software or
user settings, which would explain the randomness of the
failure, but all failures being basically the same at the
same point.

| You may have a bad sector, run chkdsk /f /r
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Got a notice that an updated new version of Ad-Aware
| > Personal se 1.04 was available. Downloaded opened the
| > Lavasoft.de page and downloaded from the Cnet link.
Install
| > removed the previous 1.03 version. The scan froze at
about
| > 38,000 files and the application stopped responding.
| > Uninstalled and downloaded version 1.04 from MajorGeeks
in
| > case there was a corrupt file at downloads.com. Same
| > problem.
| > Uninstalled 1.04 and reinstalled version 1.03.
| >
| > Have sent email to lavasoft (e-mail address removed)

Howard Harris

Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
problem. It may be a problem with users or software
conflicts.

If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep scans,
or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but those
that do...

They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45 on
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502

"Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up during a scan, please
redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build number - 1.04).

Please note that you only need to redownload if you indeed
experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.

Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.

Freeware users please use the following mirror.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Best regards

Ann - Christine
Team Lavasoft"

Jim Macklin

Prompt service, thanks for the link.

Jim

| On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
| > Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
| > problem. It may be a problem with users or software
| > conflicts.
| >
| > If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep
scans,
| > or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes. But
| > just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but
those
| > that do...
| >

| They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45
on

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502

| "Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up during
a scan, please
| redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build
number - 1.04).

| Please note that you only need to redownload if you indeed
| experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.
|
| Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.
|
| Freeware users please use the following mirror.
| http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
|
| We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
you.

| Best regards
|
| Ann - Christine
| Team Lavasoft"
|
| --
| Howard

Jim Macklin

Downloaded the new version and scanned all drives without a
problem. It seemed to pause in some folders and with DLLs
but there was still hard drive activity as shown by the
light. The file count resumed within a few seconds.
Partitions scanned 4, files scanned 193995 detections as
expected, 20 recent file used lists, all critical items
removed with previous versions.

Jim

in message | Prompt service, thanks for the link.

| Jim
|

| || On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:05 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:
|| > Seems to be a common problem, it is a hot topic on the
|| > Lavasoft forums. But not all systems are having the
|| > problem. It may be a problem with users or software
|| > conflicts.
|| >
|| > If yours works, you can try full system scan or deep
| scans,
|| > or perhaps some other setting to see if it freezes.
But
|| > just like SP2, most people didn't have a problem, but
| those
|| > that do...

|| They have reissued the build. Posted 2004-09-06 21:43:45
| on

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,11260174~mode=flat~start=50#11263502
|| "Everyone who experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up
during
| a scan, please
|| redownload Ad-Aware (it will still display the same build
| number - 1.04).
|| Please note that you only need to redownload if you
indeed
|| experienced Ad-aware 1.04 freezing up.
|| Pro and Plus users please use the same download link.
|| Freeware users please use the following mirror.
|| http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
|| We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
| you.
|| Best regards
|| Ann - Christine
|| Team Lavasoft"