Windows XP Nothing is showing in add/remove programs

Reaction score
Windows has been newly installed and after few days nothing is showing up in Add/Remove programs. Gone through various website that google search gave and tried all of them. Nothing seems to work. I don't want to re-install windows.

Also if I right click on the desktop and go to properties, nothing happens. Also if I try to open display in control panel, nothing happens. Tried opening from command line using cpl command same problem. Gone through various website that google search gave and tried all of them. Nothing seems to work. I don't want to re-install windows.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Apart from trying a repair using your Windows CD, you are faced with a fresh install.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You say the install is only a few days old. Sure you could try to repair it and then carry on with a potentialy crippled os or do a fresh install. How much time will it take to find the solution and how much time will it take to re-install ?

happywave.gif

Reaction score
But is there no solution other then reinstall and repair???

Does repair remove any programs/applications/drivers/data?

Reaction score
surajnagar said:

Repair will only affect Windows files..It will repair any files that are damamged...Any other software/data you have on the machine will be left as is...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
surajnagar said:

You could try Magic or Prayer but not many folk seem to have a lot of luck with them.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
The gentleman in silly flipflops is trying to be a wise-guy, but there's tons of other things you can try before jumping to huge projects.

1. Review your Event Viewer- RightClick on My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Application
to look to related errors

2. Run Appwiz.cpl - start > Run > type Appwiz.cpl to see if that changes anything

3. Make sure you are logged in as an admin My Computer > Manage > Users ... Groups to check the contents of the Administrators group and ensure that you are one of them

4. Log in to the PC as another user to view contents of the Add Remove Programs window (user profiles do get corrupt at times - so trying a new fresh login, or a new profile may be a good troubleshooting step

5. As mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668, your issues may be related to the fact that recently uninstalled software did a lousy job cleaning up after itself. If you recollect such software, try focusing on that area.

Repairing your OS from a Win XP CD is not a bad idea, but timeconsuming - if you are using a disk without any service packs or only SP1, you will have to struggle through Windows Updates - yuk

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check the services in admin tools. Chances are that a service associated with display etc isn't loading... or is loading but with corrupted references.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
mintol11 said:
The gentleman in silly flipflops is trying to be a wise guy

Gentleman ! Thats not what they usually call me around here
laughingsmiley.gif

Flipflops !! indeed . I'll have you know those are state of the art imitation Crocs cost me £5 .and they have been artfully decorated with a plug-in Betty Boop and a Skull and Cross Bones at some great expense.
As to Wise Guy ! I ain't trying to be one I'm a retired one. Thats the english version of a wise guy you understand as a) I'm not Italian b) I don't live in the USA.

laughingsmiley.gif

I still recon it would be best to do a fresh install as I mentioned earlier.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question