    PC boots up fine, but when I double click on any icons, nothing happens, get
    hourglass then it goes away. It may be a virus, but I am unable to do a
    virus scan.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2004

    Road Runner Guest

    Hi ... Go to this website and try out number 4 , see if that will help

    Road Runner, Oct 22, 2004

    Rock Guest

    Ang1611 wrote:

    > PC boots up fine, but when I double click on any icons, nothing happens, get
    > hourglass then it goes away. It may be a virus, but I am unable to do a
    > virus scan.

    If it's a virus start with Trend Micro's Sysclean. Download it and the
    signature file. Turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run
    sysclean. Boot back into normal mode and run a full AV scan with your
    normal AV program. Then turn system restore back on.

    Trend Micro Sysclean

    Trend Micro Signature File

    You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
    addition to your regular up to date AV program:

    Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

    Panda ActiveScan

    Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    TrendMicro:

    McAfee Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    Run these programs to check for spyware/malware. After installing
    update them, then boot into safe mode and run them. You should update
    and run them weekly.

    Cwshredder
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#cwshred

    Ad-aware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

    Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp

    If you’re still having problems after running these then run HijackThis
    and post the log to one of the specialty forums, _NOT_ this one.

    HijackThis

    Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

    After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

    Spywareblaster
    www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    Spywareguard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html