Notepad and .txt file association problem

G

Got a problem with the .txt file association.....seems notepad is missing from the file associations list and if I browse to it and try and get it to be the default for .txt files it won't stick ?

Best I can do is get wordpad to open .txt files ? The Notepad.exe works fine as is and I can open it, make notes etc but no can get .txt files to open with it by default. Is there something in the reg that I can look for that will bring notepad back into the file associations listing and or get it to be the default program for .txt files ?

Thanks in advance !

D

dev

/SteveG/ said:
Got a problem with the .txt file association.....seems notepad is missing from the file associations list and if I browse to it and try and get it to be the default for .txt files it won't stick ?

Best I can do is get wordpad to open .txt files ? The Notepad.exe works fine as is and I can open it, make notes etc but no can get .txt files to open with it by default. Is there something in the reg that I can look for that will bring notepad back into the file associations listing and or get it to be the default program for .txt files ?

Check out XP-FIXES at Doug's site, linked below.

Note the restore association fixes.

G

Nothing has worked so far.....Notepad.exe is not in the files associations list and when I browse to it in c:/windows still I cannot get it to associate itself with simple text documents ?

How on earth do I get it back into the file associations list ??

Ask a Question