Notepad File Associations After Installing SP2 on Win XP Home

John

When I try to open files that have been created using Notepad *.txt
files, before the upgrade, all the files automatically opened with Notepad.
Now when I try to open a .txt file, I get the window "OPEN WITH "
"Choose the program that you want to open this file with...." followed by
a list of programs - but no Notepad. I click on Browse and then go to
C:\WINDOWS and highlight Notepad. I then click on Open which then takes me
back to the previous window with the list of programs, but no Notepad.
WordPad is highlighted; however, some of the files are formatted in a way
that Notepad can handle, but not WordPad. Therefore the desire to use
Notepad.

Can anyone suggest a way to associate .txt files with Notepad?

Thank you.

John

Downloaded the ZIP file and extracted it. When it asked if I wanted to
update the Registry with the data in file, I responded Yes. Nothing
changed. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

John

Yes - as stated in my original post, Notepad.exe is in C:\WINDOWS and runs
fine when I click on it, then File> Open....

I checked out the URL you provided and it told me to do what I already have
done.