Not Genuine Anymore, what to do

So today I turned on my Vista Ultimate machine and it wanted me to reactivate
it. Strange since it was fine last night and the only thing I added was the
upgrade to itunes.

I reacitivate Vista and now its saying its not genuine. I called the
activation line and the guy said it may be pirated copy which it isn't. I
bought it from a reputable retailer just after it launced an have been using
it since then. He said to call the piracy line, which I did and big suprpise
they are closed.

This means i am going to have to take time off work to sit at my computer so
i can call when they are open.

Is there anything else i can do to make this damn thing genuine again. I
have gone to their genuine website and it dosn't work. I have run that
diagnostic tool and it says the license isn't valid.

Very Frustrated

Martin

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Have you installed any games?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

[...]

Richard Urban

Call again. You will undoubtedly get another person. If you get no
satisfaction ask to speak to their superior. Some of them free lance and can
be heavy handed, which is not what Microsoft wants.

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

Kevin Young

Martin said:
[...]

I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I knew it would only be a
matter of time until legit customers ended up where you are now because
of dumb decisions by MS. Reading your message reassured me that I had
made the right decision recently when I removed Vista and installed
Linux on my PC. So long activation, WGA, WGA-N, restrictive EULA's,
ridiculous VM policies, viruses and proprietary formats. I'm not
suggesting things are perfect on the Linux platform but they sure seem a
heck of a lot better than the direction MS has headed. I would
encourage others to take a Ubuntu Live CD for a spin or check out
openSUSE. The transition to Linux has been easier than I thought it
would be.

norm

Interesting. We have an instance of a conceivably flawed activation
process, freelance heavy handed help, and the only course of action
suggested is to call again, hope for a different result, and be
understanding that what one has experienced is not what ms really wants.
If ms doesn't want stuff such as this to happen in the first place, it
would seem that oversight of the process would have been its first order
of concern.

Martin J said:
So today I turned on my Vista Ultimate machine and it wanted me to
reactivate it. Strange since it was fine last night and the only
thing > I added was the upgrade to itunes.
I reacitivate Vista and now its saying its not genuine. I called the
activation line and the guy said it may be pirated copy which it
isn't. I bought it from a reputable retailer just after it launced
an > have been using it since then. He said to call the piracy line,
which > I did and big suprpise they are closed.
This means i am going to have to take time off work to sit at my
computer so i can call when they are open.
Is there anything else i can do to make this damn thing genuine
again. > I have gone to their genuine website and it dosn't work. I
have run

Richard Urban

Have you ever called a company for service, any company, and not been happy
with the outcome? Did you not call again to speak to another person. People
are human (except for some who post here - not necessarily you) and have bad
days. So you try again. It's a pain in the *ss, but it happens all the time.
I have had 3 instances myself this year already from major corporations.

Tell me you (or your parents if you are too young to drive) have never had a
bad experience getting an automobile repaired where you had to "elevate"
your complaint.

Customer service, in general, has been relegated to the back burner - by
almost all large companies.

And, I know, it doesn't make it right.

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

The last game i installed was last week and that was Star Trek Legacy. Both
computer and game have been running fine ( i use my computer daily) since
then until last night.

I have a few games installed but they have been installed since i started
running vista

Halflife2
World Of Warcraft
Star Trek Bridge Commander
City Of Heroes

The only thing that was installed before this started happening was the
upgrade to Itunes.

I have no problem calling them again but the pain of going through that whole
say you product ID is really anoying, i did it twice last night. DO you know
of a quicker way of getting around that.

Strongly considering moving to Linux, I have used Ubuntu before but was
always turned off it because i couldn't play my games, but i have been taking
a look at the Cedega which works with ubuntu and it looks promising.

Richard Urban

I wish I did. I have had to do it also from changing too much hardware.

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

If like XP wait 120 days and you're internet activation will work. Stay in
safe mode till then. Economic rationalists will judge you to be mad to
follow my suggestions rather than ringing.

Remember sunk costs are worthless. Do you want Vista to work or not.

But Donitz fought the good fight. People respect him.

Did you install the Nvidia MB drivers from windows update that was released a
few days ago? It hosed my activation when I did. It told me I had a hardware
change and I had to reactivate. It would not let me do it over the internet
even though you are supposed to have the ability to do it 5 times over the
internet with a boxed retail copy. My experiance with the reactivation tech
was horrible. Not only did he imply that I might be a thief and a lier by
saying that he would have to take my word on whether I had it installed on
more than 1 PC, in the middle of him giving me a activation code he asked me
to hold on and all of the sudden I could hear a bunch of screaming and
hollering that I could only guess was the entire complex they were at was
praying to Allah.

Alias

Mike said:
Did you install the Nvidia MB drivers from windows update that was released a
few days ago? It hosed my activation when I did. It told me I had a hardware
change and I had to reactivate. It would not let me do it over the internet
even though you are supposed to have the ability to do it 5 times over the
internet with a boxed retail copy. My experiance with the reactivation tech
was horrible. Not only did he imply that I might be a thief and a lier by
saying that he would have to take my word on whether I had it installed on
more than 1 PC, in the middle of him giving me a activation code he asked me
to hold on and all of the sudden I could hear a bunch of screaming and
hollering that I could only guess was the entire complex they were at was
praying to Allah.

Doubtful when you consider that Islam is not a major religion in India.
Hinduism is. Now, if the activation rep was in Pakistan, you would have
a point.

Alias

Still I think their's a couple of a hundred million of them in india. Any
place claiming to be a Nth Indian Diner is Muslim and probably Halal (same
as Kosher but different sect of priests).

Alias

.. said:
Still I think their's a couple of a hundred million of them in india.
Any place claiming to be a Nth Indian Diner is Muslim and probably Halal
(same as Kosher but different sect of priests).

13% are Muslims, on the border with Pakistan, 80% are Hindu. It's
unlikely but maybe he did get a room full of Muslims.

Alias

Justin

It's garbage like this that makes me wait for a full proof way to bypass
activation. Not to pirate but so I don't have to be bothered with this
garbage as a legal user.

Cymbal Man Freq.

<.> wrote in message | If like XP wait 120 days and you're internet activation will work. Stay in
| safe mode till then. Economic rationalists will judge you to be mad to
| follow my suggestions rather than ringing.

So that's how M$ can recall Vista? Just fail everybody's activation in one fell
swoop and hang-up the phone forever? You sure Bush hasn't taken over this
company?

Justin

If MS hangs up the phone forever then you're SOL. So it wouldn't mater
anyway. I guarantee you an activation bypass would be made available to
everyone.

Alias

Justin said:
It's garbage like this that makes me wait for a full proof way to bypass
activation. Not to pirate but so I don't have to be bothered with this
garbage as a legal user.

Damn it, Justin, would you stop that. I just sprayed coffee all over my
keyboard and monitor.

Alias