stuff, apps, drivers, settings, games, ect, ect. do i
have to
A) ghost the entire 8 gigs
B) ghost the C\Windows folder
C) do something else, if so what is it?

any help is greatly appreciated.

~Thomas~

G

dear just click propof my comp and disable system restore use mcafe dont use norton product's bye

----- Thomas Howland wrote: -----

I want to ghost my harddrive. so that i can have a
prefect fresh install when ever i want. i have 8 gigs of
stuff, apps, drivers, settings, games, ect, ect. do i
have to
A) ghost the entire 8 gigs
B) ghost the C\Windows folder
C) do something else, if so what is it?

any help is greatly appreciated.

~Thomas~

D

David H. Lipman

Ghost creates an Image of the exact contents of the hard disk. This includes the FAT32 or
NTFS partition scheme. Assuming that you actually have 8GB of data, and at best Ghost will
do a 2:1 compression ratio, the media that you choose to create the Ghost image on will need
to be at least 5GBs. Ghost will create a GHO file and subsequent GHS files, each 2GB large,
until the entire source has been imaged.

Another way is to have two hard disks and instead of creating a Ghost image on the second
hard disk of the first hard disk, you can use Ghost to perform a disk-to-disk clone. Thus
the second hard disk will be an exact duplicate of the first hard disk. Once this is done
it is recommended that the second hard disk be removed from the system or at least the power
cable removed such that you won't corrupt that Fail Safe backup. Additionally you can use
the disk-to-disk clone capability to upgrade the system's hard disk.
Scenario:
If you had a 20GB "C:" and you wanted to replace it with an 80GB "C:" drive you can add the
80GB hard disk as a second drive to the system. You would then perform a disk-to-disk clone
of the 20GB "C:" drive. When complete, you would remove the "C:" drive and make the second,
80GB hard disk, the "C:" drive.

If you choose to use CD, DVD or Tape as the media for the Ghost image, Ghost will span the
media until the hard disk has been fully imaged.

Interestingly, I could NOT find "Ghost Professional 2004" PDF manuals at their FTP site...
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/manuals/

I personally use Ghost 2003 and professionally use Ghost Enterprise v7.0. I just put in a
PO to replace Enterprise v7.0 with v8.0. Symantec Ghost is the only Symantec product I
swear by and not swear at.

Dave

| I want to ghost my harddrive. so that i can have a
| prefect fresh install when ever i want. i have 8 gigs of
| stuff, apps, drivers, settings, games, ect, ect. do i
| have to
| A) ghost the entire 8 gigs
| B) ghost the C\Windows folder
| C) do something else, if so what is it?
|
| any help is greatly appreciated.
|
| ~Thomas~

Ask a Question