Norton Anti Virus will not quit

Buffalo

Buffalo wrote:
[snip}
I use OE and all I do is press Shift-Alt-F to open up a Find Message
Box while in this ng.
I'm sure your newsreader has a Find Message Option.
Buffalo

I actually use Shift-Ctrl-F and not Shift-Alt-F.
Sorry,
Buffalo

Unknown

FYI---I have NEVER had a virus. However, I Never click on unknown items or
open unknown items.
I use MSE only and have a clean running computer. I have an external backup
HD but, so far never
had to restore from it. I did have to use 'system restore' one time and it
was successful.

nurmi

To Unknown - 4508EN
I downloaded and ran this Norton Removal Tool, to remove Norton 2006
products or later versions"
http://www.symantec.com:80/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=2008082815Nurmi"Unknown" <[email protected]> wrote in messageThat is an indication Norton was not completely uninstalled.> "nurmi" <[email protected]> wrote in message A new problem has cropped up since I tried to shed Norton.>> My PC keeps re-booting. The Error Signature reads like this:>> BCCCode: 10000009 BCP1: CO3A76B8 BCP2 : 00000002>> BCP3 00000000 BCP4: 00000002>> OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP 3_0 Product 781_1>> Error Report Contents>> C:\Document~\Richard\Locals~Temp\WER d 853. dir 00\Mini 053010-01.dmp>> C\Document~1\Richard\Locals~Temp\WER d 853, dir00\sysdata.xm;>>>> "nurmi" <[email protected]> wrote in messageinstalled the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials whileNorton Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing thatwas my inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive any kindof help from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton would give upthe game. Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is being hampered, and Ifeel helpless.>>> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide.Contact your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the systemadministrator has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is 0x7b at line0 with two unrecognizable hiroglyphics.>>>>>>>>>

Buffalo

Unknown said:
Of course-------but that is your ego.

:)
PS: No sense of humor?
PPS: No real experience on anti-virus product effectiveness but you still
give your opinion on which is the better product, like you actually know
something from experience.

nurmi

To all Helping Hands,
Thanks, Norton AntiVirus is finished, and the last hick-up gave up.
Nurmi

Buffalo

nurmi said:
To all Helping Hands,
Thanks, Norton AntiVirus is finished, and the last hick-up gave up.
Nurmi

What did you do to finalize it? Previously you said you used the Norton
removal tools and still had the problem.
Curious,
Buffalo

vjp2.at

I have used the djgpp "rm- rf" proggie
but the exe and dll files have
to be renamed, rebooted then deleted.

Then I use clamwin from sourceforge.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Buffalo

Unknown said:
Would you like some 'bad' experience? Install Norton.
I used NSW for years and had no problems with it. The Norton Utilities and
Ghost were excellent.
Buffalo
PS: Have you ever tried it personally?

Unknown

Yes.
Buffalo said:
I used NSW for years and had no problems with it. The Norton Utilities and
Ghost were excellent.
Buffalo
PS: Have you ever tried it personally?

Buffalo

Unknown said:

I only used NSW2002 and NSW2003 and they were very good, especially their
Utilities.
However now I use the free Avira Anti-Vir and it seems very good and it also
seems to use less resources than NSW.
I use Win2000ProSP4 with a 2GHz Athlon cpu and 1GB of ram.

nurmi

Regarding the second problem, it turned out, had nothing to do with Norton.
It was caused by WinTV from Hauppauge and was due to attemps on my part to
up-date drivers for it. I misunderstood the instructions and the result
were re-starts.
I finally seemed to have done it correctly.
I have used Norton for many years, I decided to change because Norton
demanded payment long before the year was up.
Nurmi

Unknown

Congrats and wish you many years of success.