Noisy fan

Reaction score
My main cooling fan has started making a hell of a noise for the first few minutes of operation, am assuming this is a sign of immenant failure? It has always been noisy so was wondering about fitting a better one anyway. Does this new noise spell impending death for it? Or am I unduly worried?

Reaction score
Which fan CPU or case, if a fan is that noisy it is on its way or has come to the end of its life, change it ebuyer have them other site as well go to Retailers on the main index of this site.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
My main cooling fan has started making a hell of a noise for the first few minutes of operation, am assuming this is a sign of immenant failure? It has always been noisy so was wondering about fitting a better one anyway. Does this new noise spell impending death for it? Or am I unduly worried?
Check all your fans, as it may well be a video card fan ... they don't last 2mins ... if it is your CPU fan then I advise replacing the whole HSF ... you can buy them anywhere, even Maplins. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
It could be a number of things, in my old PC the case fan was making a strange noise and it turned out that it was hitting one of the power cables. If it is the CPU fan and it is an Athlon bundled fan they are noisy as hell and you are best off replacing it. Somtimes the fan is just sitting at a funny angle and it can make a grinding sound, this happens a lot on graphics cards, that is easily sorted. Like you say it is probably best just investing in a new fan.

Ask a Question