Noisy Laptop

Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering what the opinions here were. I have an old Sony laptop (I'm sure the regulars are familiar with this beast!!) and it's so noisy it sounds like a plane taking off.

I have opened it up and the fans don't look that dusty to be honest, not sure why they are making such a racket.

Anyway, I bought a couple of small paint brushes today to try and clear some of the dust out. I was also going to buy a can of compressed air to try and blow out some of the dust I can't see.

Anyone used compressed air and can tell me if it's a good idea or not. Also, anyone have any other suggestions on how to stop the fan being so damn noisy??

Bodhi

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's probably that the fan bearings have gone, so you could try and fix them (fiddly) or replace the fans is possible :)

I don't think giving the fans a clean with compressed air would do much to be honest, if the bearings have gone you'll hear a whining/grinding noise from the fans.

Reaction score
Using compressed air is ideal when your likely to make contact with electri-sensitive equipement... some brushes are ok but I don't recommend them... high school physics 101.... static created with nylon. (Cheap brushes tend to have nylon or similar fibres)

Anyways... I degress... as Ian said... sounds like the bearings have had it.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my Rock Quadra sounded a bit like a 747 jet, right from new, but that was just the nature of the beast, it gave years of good service and still works. I used to occasionally clean the fans by holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle against the fan-grille - carefully, of course. But it had the desired effect. :)

Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe I'll just have to live with the noise then. It's always been quite noisy, but it's now amazingly noisy!!

What causes the fan bearings to go? Don't fancy having to replace the fan. On a desktop it would be fine, but on a laptop, nightmare!!

It does sound like it's overheating though, you know, the fan gets noisier the long the laptop is on or the more it's doing. It's been like it for a couple of years though, so fingers crossed it's just a noisy beast in general

Last edited:
Reaction score
bodhi said:
What causes the fan bearings to go? Don't fancy having to replace the fan. On a desktop it would be fine, but on a laptop, nightmare!!

Age, heat...They are actually quite easy to change.Notmuch hassle at all..

Ask a Question