NOD32 vs Kaspersky

KcN

Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.

KcN

I'm asking for comments so I can make an informed decision. There's nothing
wrong with that.

Jari Lehtonen

Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.
I would say kaspersky is better for its wider detection range. It is
very good in finding malware in all sorts of packed and archivr files.
It has very good trojan detection rates and nowadays you can adjust it
to find spyware, dialers, pornware etc malware. And it updates 2-3
times a day.

They say Nod32 is lighter on resources and has a exellent heuristic
capability (found Netsky.d with heuristics).

I would choose KAV (there is a new v. 5 -line coming currently beta,
so if you can wait whta that has to offer or download it from
Kasperkys site)
Jari

Larry Sabo

KcN said:
Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.

My Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite subscription is coming to a close and
I've learned that I get a 30% discount on the renewal, and the renewal
can be any of their products. Great!

I selected Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal, but it crashed my system!
Sent support an e-mail 03/04/2004 but haven't heard back from them
yet. Not at all impressed by their "support."

Following is the e-mail. Any suggestions will be gratefully
received...

<Quote> =============================================================

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:37:53 -0500
To: (e-mail address removed)
From: Larry Sabo <correct e-mail address was here>
Subject: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

Greetings,

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal
(since my Lite subscription is about to expire) and upon rebooting got
a blue screen with STOP 0x035 (815980A8, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0),
NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS, followed by a memory dump. Repeated
attempts to boot change the value of the first term. Adding
IRPStackSize (REG_DWRD) to
HKLM\System\CurrentControlset\Lanmanserver\Parameters\ with a value of
0x0b as suggested in some web references does nothing.

I'm not at all pleased. I had to restore my WINNT registry from a
back-up made a few days earlier (fortunately!). I'm using Win2K and
all updates are applied (I think).

Any suggestions?

Larry

</quote> =============================================================

Ed Mc

KcN said:
Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.
I use Kaspersky Pro for the last 3 years. I did all the research,
at that time, and still believe in AVP is the best there is. I just
renewed my license for 40.00 US. This includes the annual discount. They
send you a discount "code" each year for inclusion in the renewal form.
Unfortunately, for me, I live in Washington state and they now get their
8% tax!! The few times I have used their "support" I was very happy.
Answered my questions in clear, concise, and timely fashion.

KcN

40 bucks to renew each year? Is that for a new product or just for the
updates?

Hmm, I thought you buy the software and it comes with a free year of virus
definition updates. After that you renew for 10-15 bucks. Where have I
been :p

this_is _not_a_genuine

40 bucks to renew each year? Is that for a new product or just for the
updates?

Hmm, I thought you buy the software and it comes with a free year of virus
definition updates. After that you renew for 10-15 bucks. Where have I
been :p

The Pro version is app. $99.

So a $40 renewal is reasonable.

dos

KcN said:
Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.

If you're after an anti-virus program, you can't really do better than
NOD32. The best ITW detection full stop. Also has the best heuristic's by a
mile with AH, best scanning times, uses minimal resources and I've not seen
a false positive yet. KAV on the other hand, in my experience, is sluggish,
and has produced more false positives for me than any other program I've
used.

The only thing some people may see as a flaw with NOD32 is that it's trojan
detection may not be as great as KAV's, McAfee's, or even NAV's. Lately
though it has been getting far better, but they do advertise the product
really as an anti-virus product, not an all singing all dancing one that'll
even make the coffee. Personally I prefer it this way, layered protection is
better after all and I'd rather not put all my egg's in one basket so to
speak.

Brandon

I have tried both nod32 and Kaspersky. Nod32 worked well for me, it
has a very fast real time scanner, it is one of the only real time
scanners that I have ever used that does not slow the sytem at all.
As for Kaspersky...well I can't say right now because i can't get KAV
to work on my sytem. I keep getting a blue screen on boot after
installing KAV. The details are below:

I recently downloaded a copy of KAV Pro. After installing the
product, the installer asks me to reboot my machine, so I do…and on
the next boot, I get a blue screen error that reads
"no_more_irp_stack_locations". I have to restart in safe mode and then
uninstall KAV so that my machine will boot.

I tried everything to get this error to go away. I tried uninstalling
my video driver; I tried removing all over clocking from my CPU and
memory; I tried using very conservative settings in my bios like
disabling video bios caching and memory holes.

I tried disconnecting all of my USB devices except for my internal
card reader. I tried increasing the IRPStackSize value in my registry
to 20 and then 30 and then 50. It still refused to boot. I then tried
selecting only certain components of KAV in my installation. I found
that my machine will boot if I install KAV without the real time
monitor. As soon as I install the real time monitor…boom…my machine
kicks the "no_more_irp_stack_locations" blue screen error on the next
boot. This is happening on my machine with both of my operating
systems. The error is the same on both Windows 2000 and XP except on
XP it happens on shutdown instead of boot for some reason. I tried
the latest KAV 4.5.0.94 version from your site as well as the new KAV
5.0 beta 2; both versions will not work on my system.

I have never, ever, had a blue screen error on my system prior to
this. The following security products have worked well on my system
without any problems: NOD32, NIS 2003, NIS2004, MacAfee VirusScan,
TDS-3, TrojanHunter, Sygate Pro, Zonealarm Pro, and Grisoft AVG. None
of them are currently installed…I just want you to know that my system
has accepted these other program in the past without any troubles.

After much head scratching, I decided to do a completely fresh
installation of windows and try it again. I reformatted and
reinstalled windows on my disk and tried installing KAV again. The
same thing happened on the first reboot after installation. I decided
to dig deeper into my bios at this point. I started disabling
peripherals and then tried booting after each one was disabled. As a
last resort, I moved my boot drive to the standard Intel IDE
controller and then tried disabling my IDE RAID controller, it is a
High Point HPT374 RAID controller that is integrated into my Abit
motherboard...I found that disabling the HPT374 RAID controller
allowed my machine to boot with the KAV monitor installed. This is
not a solution, but at least it gives us some direction. After
discovering this, I tried updating my RAID controller's drivers and
bios but the error was persistent. My conclusion is that currently
KAV is not compatible with systems that have a HPT374 IDE RAID
controller or more specifically --- with the Abit IT7 motherboard.
Perhaps KAV is also not compatible with other RAID controllers. This
is unfortunate because the HPT374 controller was used exclusively in
many of the new Abit boards that have been released in the past few
years. There are many potential customers out there that have the
same configuration as this. Here is a link to the manufacturer of my
RAID controller http://www.highpoint-tech.com . Here is a link to my
motherboard manufacturer's web site
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=33
Lastly, here is a link to a google groups search query. It will show
you that there are others who are experiencing this problem as well:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=..._stack_locations+kaspersky&btnG=Google+Search

Please help me sort this out.

My system specs are below:

Motherboard: Abit – IT7
Video card: Vision Tek Geforce4 ti4200
Processor: Pentium 2.2b Northwood (BX80532PE2266d)
Memory: 512mb Corsair pc3000 memory stick
(CMX5123000C2)

Hard drives: Qty (1) Western Digital 80GB (WD800JB)
Qty (1) Western Digital 40GB (WD400BB)
Qty (2) Toshiba (formerly IBM) 40GB Deskstar
120GXP (IC35L040AVVA07)

All drives are installed on the HPT374 IDE
RAID controller of the Motherboard

Floppy drive: Sony
DVD+R/W-R/W drive: Sony (DRU500ax)
Modem: USR (5610b) Controller Based PCI Modem
Power supply: ANTEC TruePower 430
CD RW Drive: Sony (CRX220A1)
Case: Lian-li (PC-65)
USB keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite
USB mouse: Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer
USB PCI Card: ADS Technologies USB Turbo 2.0 PCI card
Card Reader: Atech Flash Technologies 9 in 1
internal/external USB 2.0 flash
card reader

Printer: HP Office Jet G55 All-in-one
Web cam: Logitech Quickcam

Earl Felts

Hi,

Just curious what you guys/gals think is the better antivirus? I've read
that both are really good. NOD32 is a little cheaper than Kaspersky but
their renewal license seems high. I don't know what the renewal price for
Kaspersky is because I couldn't find it on their website.

You can get a free 1 year subscription to Computer Associates EZ
Armour suite. This includes antivirus and/or firewall software. I am
using it now and am happy with it so far. You can get it at:

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

Earl Felts

someone

KcN said:
40 bucks to renew each year? Is that for a new product or just for the
updates?

Hmm, I thought you buy the software and it comes with a free year of virus
definition updates. After that you renew for 10-15 bucks. Where have I
been :p

Maybe you've been in England. Everything costs twice as much in England.

s.

Donald McDaniel

dos said:
If you're after an anti-virus program, you can't really do better than
NOD32. The best ITW detection full stop. Also has the best
heuristic's by a mile with AH, best scanning times, uses minimal
resources and I've not seen a false positive yet. KAV on the other
hand, in my experience, is sluggish, and has produced more false
positives for me than any other program I've used.

The only thing some people may see as a flaw with NOD32 is that it's
trojan detection may not be as great as KAV's, McAfee's, or even
NAV's. Lately though it has been getting far better, but they do
advertise the product really as an anti-virus product, not an all
singing all dancing one that'll even make the coffee. Personally I
prefer it this way, layered protection is better after all and I'd
rather not put all my egg's in one basket so to speak.

Sadly (i really like NOD32), I cannot use NOD32, since IMON fails to shut
down when I shut down the computer. At first I thought that the problem was
my clock, "Say the Time 6.0" by Provenio Software. I uninstalled it, and
NOD32 began closing down normally. Since then, however, NOD32's IMON module
has begun failing to shut down properly when I shut down the computer, even
without SayTheTime installed.

I suspect that the real problem is ZoneAlarm Pro. ZoneAlarm has never
really worked well with other programs for me. If anyone has any input on
the shutdown problems of NOD32, I would appreciate hearing from them. I
really would like to get it working consistently.

At present, I am using AVG Pro 7.x with no trouble. I just wish it had as
good a record as NOD32 at detecting and cleaning viruses.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Post all replies to the Newsgroup,

Duane Arnold

Sadly (i really like NOD32), I cannot use NOD32, since IMON fails to
shut down when I shut down the computer. At first I thought that the
problem was my clock, "Say the Time 6.0" by Provenio Software. I
uninstalled it, and NOD32 began closing down normally. Since then,
however, NOD32's IMON module has begun failing to shut down properly
when I shut down the computer, even without SayTheTime installed.

I suspect that the real problem is ZoneAlarm Pro. ZoneAlarm has never
really worked well with other programs for me. If anyone has any input
on the shutdown problems of NOD32, I would appreciate hearing from
them. I really would like to get it working consistently.

At present, I am using AVG Pro 7.x with no trouble. I just wish it
had as good a record as NOD32 at detecting and cleaning viruses.

It would be helpful if you had mentioned what O/S this is happening on.

Duane :)

Donald McDaniel

Duane said:
It would be helpful if you had mentioned what O/S this is happening
on.

Duane :)

Sorry. Windows XP Professional, w/SP1.

Anyway, after several hours of work, I appear to have NOD32 working normally
again. Though there is still a program which flashes a window as I shut
down (don't know if it's NOD32 or not -- it flashes too fast to recognise.)
I do suspect that this window is flashed by either AMON or IMON as they shut
down. At least now NOD32 is not hanging completely (as it was before) as I
shut down. No user-interaction is now required to completely shut down.
Before, I had to manually shut down the window IMON (or AMON) put up before
the machine would completely shut down.

I do think that installing ZoneAlarm Pro AFTER installing NOD32 seems to
have helped. I also made sure that NOD32's executables have complete
permissions in ZoneAlarm Pro.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Post all replies to the Newsgroup,
so that all may be informed.
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

MinnesotaKid

NOD32 costs only 27.30 U.S. to renew each year. Not bad. I've tried
EZ Armor, as it is available free for Road Runner users. Good luck if
you ever uninstall it, though. Nothing but headaches! NOD32 is the
best I've ever used.