No Welcome Screen

R

Richard in AZ

I have the User setting to use the Welcome Screen for logon and Fast User switching active.
But when starting the computer, I see just a flash of the classic logon dialog box (automatic logs
to the one user)
and then the desktop.
When I shut down, I get the classic logging off dialog boxes, not the "welcome" style window.

The system is Windows XP Pro with SP2.
I have gone to the Control Applet for Users and checked both the Use The Welcome Screen and Use
Fast User Switching.
I have used the "control userpasswords2" option to auto log on the only user.
But the Welcome Screen(s) seem to be gone.

Any suggestions?
The dialog boxes on shut down are not a major problem,
I just would like the original style back.

I suspect a registry problem. This was the machine that was logging off immediately after logging
on after a Windows Media Player update. I had to add a Userinit line to the registry to get it to
stay logged on.

R

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Richard,

See if this applies:

The Default Windows Logon Interface May Not Appear After Installing Third-Party Program
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302346

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

I have the User setting to use the Welcome Screen for logon and Fast User switching active.
But when starting the computer, I see just a flash of the classic logon dialog box (automatic logs
to the one user)
and then the desktop.
When I shut down, I get the classic logging off dialog boxes, not the "welcome" style window.

The system is Windows XP Pro with SP2.
I have gone to the Control Applet for Users and checked both the Use The Welcome Screen and Use
Fast User Switching.
I have used the "control userpasswords2" option to auto log on the only user.
But the Welcome Screen(s) seem to be gone.

Any suggestions?
The dialog boxes on shut down are not a major problem,
I just would like the original style back.

I suspect a registry problem. This was the machine that was logging off immediately after logging
on after a Windows Media Player update. I had to add a Userinit line to the registry to get it to
stay logged on.

Ask a Question