No Spelling Checker

news.microsoft.com

I get the following message when I use the spelling checker in Windows,
Vista, Mail:

"This language is no longer available......Please select another in the
spelling option dialog."

I have checked 'Tools-Options-Spelling tab' and it shows 'English.'

Where is the 'Spelling Option Dialog?'

Thanks,

EdC

Mickey Segal

All I did was check the previously unchecked option to do spell checking
before sending and click on the choice with English, but not change it.

This seems like the sort of bug that should be fixed within weeks of release
via an automatic update. This and other bugs, such as the loss of hyperlink
data when pasted into a message, seems like the sort of things that should
be fixed really quickly before Windows Mail gets such a bad name that Vista
itself gets a bad name.

Windows Mail seems like the buggiest part of Vista that I've seen.

Michael

for some people it is fixed by changing the language, restarting, changing
back to English.

Michael

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Windows Mail does not set the default language id for spell check. Follow these steps:

Start Windows Mail
Click the Tools menu and choose Options...
Click the Spelling tab
From the Language drop-down, select English (default choice)
Click OK

Although "English" may already be the default choice in the Spelling tab, the setting will be applied only if you click OK. If that does not help, select a different language, and then revert back to "English" and click OK.

All I did was check the previously unchecked option to do spell checking
before sending and click on the choice with English, but not change it.

This seems like the sort of bug that should be fixed within weeks of release
via an automatic update. This and other bugs, such as the loss of hyperlink
data when pasted into a message, seems like the sort of things that should
be fixed really quickly before Windows Mail gets such a bad name that Vista
itself gets a bad name.

Windows Mail seems like the buggiest part of Vista that I've seen.

It has the exact same bugs as outlook express. They decided years ago not to
update it. The only change I can see is a new database structure. Probably
forced on them by wanting a shell wide search.

Thank you , this was the answer to my problem . CH

Ramesh said:
Windows Mail does not set the default language id for spell check. Follow these steps:

Start Windows Mail
Click the Tools menu and choose Options...
Click the Spelling tab
From the Language drop-down, select English (default choice)
Click OK

Although "English" may already be the default choice in the Spelling tab, the setting will be applied only if you click OK. If that does not help, select a different language, and then revert back to "English" and click OK.

All I did was check the previously unchecked option to do spell checking
before sending and click on the choice with English, but not change it.

This seems like the sort of bug that should be fixed within weeks of release
via an automatic update. This and other bugs, such as the loss of hyperlink
data when pasted into a message, seems like the sort of things that should
be fixed really quickly before Windows Mail gets such a bad name that Vista
itself gets a bad name.

Windows Mail seems like the buggiest part of Vista that I've seen.

Choose something else, them English.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Thanks! Haven't noticed this behavior in OE, as I don't use it too often. IIRC OE spell uses the dictionary file created by Office, but Windows Mail has its own dictionary. Right?