No Sound Device

Reaction score
I cannot play audio CDs as I get an message saying that there is no sound device installed. This was working a few days ago but somehow got corrupted. I have tried all the troubleshooting feature with no results. In the control panel sounds settings, everything is greyed out with a No Audio Device message. I also have multiple listings of Audio Codecs and Media Control Devices on my Device Manager. One of the troubleshooting steps was to remove the duplicates but I am not able to do so. Anyone have any ideas for me? I have already tried system restore (both windows and Ei systems) with no results. Help!!!

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok do this

start>right click my computer>hit properties>hardware>device manager
is there any audio device listed there? if so does it have a yellow excalmation mark next to it?

Reaction score
Yes, lots of audio devices listed with no marks. However, they are listed under sound, video and game controllers. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Reaction score
jenna142 said:
Yes, lots of audio devices listed with no marks. However, they are listed under sound, video and game controllers. Does that make a difference?

No. Click the sound cross, in the drop down list right click on each one and Go to properties check that they are working?:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry Chelsea, not listed there on mine either ... however;

Go to Start / Control Panel ... in Catergory View ... Sound Speech & Audio Devices /Sound & Audio Devices / Audio tab ... what is listed there please?

:)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry Chelsea, not listed there on mine either

I have some listed i see my sound card and co listen in there maybe i wasnt that ddirect it is under sound video and game controllers

Reaction score
itsme said:
No. Click the sound cross, in the drop down list right click on each one and Go to properties check that they are working?:thumb:
Checked all the devices listed and everything is enabled and functioning. I do however have 3 media control devices and 2 audio codecs listed. Troubleshooter says this migth be a problem but device manager will not let me uninstall this. Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Sorry Chelsea, not listed there on mine either ... however;

Go to Start / Control Panel ... in Catergory View ... Sound Speech & Audio Devices /Sound & Audio Devices / Audio tab ... what is listed there please?

:)
Everything is grey and nothing works. I cannot use any of the drop down menus or click on anything.

muckshifter

Reaction score
jenna142 said:
Everything is grey and nothing works. I cannot use any of the drop down menus or click on anything.
Then it is a hardware problem ... sorry. :(

Which Ei system is this?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Then it is a hardware problem ... sorry. :(

Which Ei system is this?
Ei 302 with a RealTek AC'97 Audio sound card. It worked yesterday so don't know what happened. Downloaded new drivers for the card and uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no result. What do you suggest if its a hardware problem?

muckshifter

Reaction score
jenna142 said:
Ei 302 with a RealTek AC'97 Audio sound card. It worked yesterday so don't know what happened. Downloaded new drivers for the card and uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no result. What do you suggest if its a hardware problem?
Remove the sound card, if possible, uninstall ALL the divers ... replace the card & hopefully MS will ask for a disk.

Did you get the drivers from ... HERE ?

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Remove the sound card, if possible, uninstall ALL the divers ... replace the card & hopefully MS will ask for a disk.

Did you get the drivers from ... HERE ?
Got the drivers from the RealTek site. Should I have gotten them from the other site?

Reaction score
Think may have found the problem. Got the driver from the site and installed. When I checked the status, it says that the drive is enalbed but not started. Any thoughts on how to start a driver?

muckshifter

Reaction score
This problem was due to the Plug and Play Software enumerator not running.

The solution is described at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444 and I repeat the brief version below (you need to reinstall the driver swenum.sys but first you must create a .inf file for it):

"copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to a temp dir
remove line 20: ExcludeFromSelect=*
add new hardware have disk (select the temp dir with the modified machine.inf) and install the plug and play software enumerator"
Failing that ...

Go into the BIOS, disable the onboard sound, restart the PC ... uninstall all sound anything, install CCleaner and run it ... re-enable the onboard sound and reinstall the drivers.

user.gif

Ask a Question