" no signal " at start up

Reaction score
Hi I have a recurring problem at start up. I get the windows loading screen but nine times out of ten the screen goes black and a message of no signal comes up. If I wait then on a blue screen a message saying nv4_disp.dll is in a loop and beginning to dump memory. The graphic card is a Geforce FX 5200 and I have upgraded the driver but to no avail. Any ideas this is driving me mad.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That is a common problem with the older nVidia cards ... ;)

Driver Installation Hints

• "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.
  • Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.
  • Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
Uninstall the drivers and try again ... some find installing older drivers, say the 5200s for your card, work better than the latests ... I'm afraid, it is 'pot-luck' sometimes to find drivers that work.

A bit more info on yor system will help ... is this a Dell?

Is the game fully updated also ... ;)

Reaction score
no signal start up

Hi muckshifter, Tried that but there does not seem to be a driver that is for the FX5200 in their video drivers files for the 4300 unless you know one that will suit. Perhaps the answer is to get a different graphic card, any suggestions, rather than mess about with this one.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
paul28 said:
Hi muckshifter, Tried that but there does not seem to be a driver that is for the FX5200 in their video drivers files for the 4300 unless you know one that will suit. Perhaps the answer is to get a different graphic card, any suggestions, rather than mess about with this one.
There really is not much wrong with the 5200, it is a pretty good run of the mill card ...

Try this tool first, follow the instructions to un-install your drivers ...

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

... that will 'clean' up any residue left behind. Then reinstall. :thumb:

Ask a Question