"no operating system found" when 2nd hard drive connected

J

jbclem

I just added a 2nd hard drive to my Win2000 computer. It's the only device on the secondary IDE cable, set as "master".
It's recognized in the bios setup but I can't access it in Dos (using Xtree Gold) and when I boot up the computer it's
listed on the screen below the primary computer and the CD-Rom drive. But the boot doesn't go much further, just to a
black screen with words that say somethuing like "no operating system found".

I've found that if I turn off this 2nd hard drive (it's installed in an external sleeve with an off-on key) the computer
will boot up normally. If I turn on the 2nd hard drive and reboot I get the "no operating system found" message. I
tried running the bootable Win2000 CD and the Repair function but got the following message:

"setup has determined your computer startup hard disk is new or has been erased, or that your computer is running on an
OS that is incompatible with Win2000". Nothing in this statement is accurate.

Something about this 2nd hard drive (which has files on it, and probably Win 2000) is causing these problems. Can
someone give me an idea how to troubleshoot this...

Thanks, jc

J

jbclem

correction to original message...in the first paragraph, instead of "primary computer" I meant "primary hard drive".

jc

D

Dave Patrick

Your system is trying to boot from this device. The mobo or device manual
may shed some light on this.

--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Ask a Question