No NIC

C

Colin Bearfield

Hi

My son has just bought a Mesh computer Running XP pro. He has
partitioned it to give him several data drives and two bootable
drives.

His second bootable drive doesn't seem to recognise his ethernet card.
On boot up there is no "new hardware found" message, but his internet
won't work and ip config /all gives nothing.

What tests can he perform?

Colin

W

Will Denny

Hi Colin

Which OS is on the 2nd partition, whereby the NIC isn't recognised - is XP home Edition being run on the 2nd partition? I am using Ntlworld as well and have no problems with my any of my PCs. After a 'Repair' or 'Clean' install, XP has always configured the NICs without any problems and Internet/Email access has been instantaneous.

'new hardware found' won't always show up - try the following from a command prompt:

ipconfig /release - wait a few minutes - then:
ipconfig /renew

If those don't work you may have to clear the DNS cache.

C

Colin Bearfield

Hi Colin

Which OS is on the 2nd partition, whereby the NIC isn't recognised - is XP home Edition being run on the 2nd partition? I am using Ntlworld as well and have no problems with my any of my PCs. After a 'Repair' or 'Clean' install, XP has always configured the NICs without any problems and Internet/Email access has been instantaneous.

Same with me. I'm waiting for him to phone back to see what his
system management tells him.

Thanks

Colin

W

Will Denny

Hi Colin

When you get some more details, please post back. If ME or XP are installed, there shouldn't be any problems with a NIC connecting through NTL.

Ask a Question