No Down- or Up-loads

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is there a problem with WCG today? I can't get any down- or up-loads but everything else seems to be working OK. :confused:

Anyone else having trouble? :(

Reaction score
Not sure, but something up as 1 task has stopped after 67% & a new 1 started.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
I've been u/l and d/l from WCG with me actually manning the PC, since 4 this morning, no problems so far as I can see

Just got 2 DDDT tasks 9.45am and 10.45am

on BOINC 5.10.28

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The problem persists. :mad: The Messages suggest that there has been no communication with the main server since about 9.30PM last night although many attempts have been made. My only Task is due to finish in the next 45 minutes and then I'll be "taskfree". :(

I don't want to be out of action whilst we're in the Xmas Race - every contribution helps.

Any ideas as to what to do next? Is it worth waiting till the Task is finished and then cutting communication altogether and then re-establishing it?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
How does your system fare when you do a restart during the middle of a task? It's a no-no for me, as the task seems to error out after booting back up, but if you want you could try that. (But suspend & close BOINC before restarting)

Other than that wait till the task finishes then restart. If that doesn't work you could try detaching from project then reattaching, or try reinstalling BOINC. All of which I've had to do on previous occasions - such fun isn't it!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
How does your system fare when you do a restart during the middle of a task?

Thanks for your interest, Graham.

If I've had to restart in the middle of a Task I've always gone into Activity and switched from "Run Always" to "Suspend", done what's neccessary, and then switched back to "Run Always". That seemed to work and not wreck the task itself - nothing worse than running a Task for 6 hours and then losing it altogether.

If that doesn't work you could try detaching from project then reattaching, or try reinstalling BOINC. All of which I've had to do on previous occasions - such fun isn't it!

Nice to know someone else has had problems too. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Right, Task finished and still nothing happened. :( Eventually I switched everything off and rebooted and at last I got some material to crunch. :)

Only thing now is that there is 11 hours of work done that stubbornly refuses to upload.:wall: In Transfers the completed Tasks are trying to upload every 2 or 3 minutes but are getting nowhere.

Suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyone else had this problem?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mines been fine, check your settings for communication. ('Activity' on the top menu.)

Also in the options, under connections, what it say?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Looks like everything getting back towards normal. Crunching away merrily and everything now gone from the Transfers tab so I assume uploading is back on line. :nod:

Can't imagine what's been going on today. I certainly didn't change anything.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Niv - what version of Boinc are you using?

Don't really know. Where do I find that info. I've only been attached to BOINC for about ten days so surely it will be the most up to date.

Is 5.10.22 likely to be it? :blush:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Ady, :wave:

Yup, it's 5.10.22 Is that the latest version?

Everything seems to be fine today - the up- and down-loads have all gone through correctly. :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Seeing your post regarding the latest version of BOINC made me check too Niv - as you do :) - the latest appears to be 5.10.30 HERE which I have just downloaded on the XP cruncher, will probably do so on Vista in a minute too I have been running 5.10.7 up until now ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Seeing your post regarding the latest version of BOINC made me check too Niv - as you do :) - the latest appears to be 5.10.30 HERE which I have just downloaded on the XP cruncher, will probably do so on Vista in a minute too I have been running 5.10.7 up until now ;)

Thanks for that TC,
You mean that we have to go in and physically update the version ourselves?

For some reason I thought BOINC would have done that automatically - it seems to do just about everything else without outside interference. :)

Is it safe to update in the middle of crunching or is it better to do it at the end of a task? :wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:wave: Yes we do it ourselves, but it doesn't cause any problems - even if you are in the middle of crunching. Both of the PCs were doing just that here. I just downloaded the new version and saved it to the desktop, then I double clicked to open the application and allowed it to install "over the top" of the other BOINC.

On XP, it flew. The new version was up and running quite literally in seconds. Vista told me what it was doing, and took a few minutes - but all was well. Note: I think I probably should have closed old BOINC first, but to be honest, I forgot - however, the new version simply closed old BOINC automatically during the installation process, so that might be why it took a minute or two longer.

Downloads were done more than an hour ago, so just checked and everything is running fine here.

:thumb:

Ask a Question