No display but fans are running

Reaction score
I have posted this thread before but now I noticed that whenever I pushed the power on, there is no beep(s) on my Asus P4C800 mainboard. HDD is not 'scratching' either. I have also checked monitor's cable but doesn't seem to be of any problems as I plugged it into my laptop and is able to see laptop's desktop on the TFT screen.

I bought another video card as i thought it could be the root of the problem, but no, the new video card too does not display anything.

CPU? Mainboard? I smell for burnt smell on the CPU and checked for physical markings of burn but nothing. So, could be the mainboard, huh?

but how if so?

help?

Reaction score
Hee hee- who's done this before

A year ago I was doing a self-build for a friend using one of the savastore mobo heat tested kits. Plumbed it not a problem- fans whirring indicating power up, no POST. 4hrs later after swapping cases etc technical support etc I found out what the problem was.

I had powered up the mobo but didnt put the four pin skt lead for the CPU.

At least I admit it but will any one else?

Reaction score
Captainpants said:
A year ago I was doing a self-build for a friend using one of the savastore mobo heat tested kits. Plumbed it not a problem- fans whirring indicating power up, no POST. 4hrs later after swapping cases etc technical support etc I found out what the problem was.

I had powered up the mobo but didnt put the four pin skt lead for the CPU.

At least I admit it but will any one else?

Can be quite easy to do, no shame in that mate.

Check everythings plugged as should be, if not sound like the m/b's knackered.

Reaction score
reseating CPU?? You can't reseat that unless your have a dual socket mainboard.
And reseating graphic card only meant that you have to reinstall its driver. :(

Reaction score
dat789 said:
reseating CPU?? You can't reseat that unless your have a dual socket mainboard.
And reseating graphic card only meant that you have to reinstall its driver. :(

Maybe he meens take them out and put them in again

Reaction score
I had that once.... I had something plugged into a USB port on the mobo and the metal on the USB plug from the peripheral was shorting against the case.

Reaction score
I have fixed everything up but I think there is still a minor problem, which doesn't affect the system at all actually.

Whenever I try to power on the system [again], I have to push the RESET button to get a display on my screen. It will seem like the first problem (all fans/system running but no display) if I did not.

What's uhh, going on??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How was the problem resolved? You didn't say.

I'd have gone for what Me_2001 said, a short on one of the mobo mount stays.

I once had a similar thing. Thermalright cooler, older type, SLK700 or something, on an XP3200, Gigabyte board.

Machine would go to post, one beep, then shut down.

Turns out the cooler heatsink was resting on a capacitor and thus not making full contact with CPU core.

So, in several seconds the CPU overheated and the Bios shut the thing down.

Had me going for a fair while, that one did ;)

Ask a Question