Windows XP No display adaptors in device manager and display problems

Reaction score
Hi there,
after a RAM upgrade my PC has developed a display problem. The graphics are slow / rippled and video playback is very poor. In device manager no "display adaptors" are present and there is also an error mesage referring to the VIA CPU to AGP2/AGP3.0 controller not having enough free resources to run due to a conflisct with VGAsave? I've tried downloading the latest graphics drivers (Radeon 9500 and XP HE v2002 SP3) but this fails saying components are missing? I've also downloaded the latest VIA chipset drivers to no effect as well?

In display properties there is no information except that Windows is using VGAsave?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Make, model motherboard please ... and as much info on the rest of the system may help.

:user:

Reaction score
OK, info from an Everest scan:

Motherboard = MSI - MS6712
CPU = AMD Athlon XP, 1250 MHz (12.5 x 100)
Chipset = VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
Video Adapter = ATI Radeon 9500 (R300)

Running XP SP3 and upgraded recently from 512mb to 3.0Gb which is when the problem first occurred, and as I said it seems to stem from a resource conflict between VIA CPU to AGP2/AGP3.0 controller and VGAsave, which has an error flag / exclamation mark next to it in device mgr which also shows no video adapter?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Via don't make good chips, better to use a couple good King Edwards & chip 'em yourself. ;)

Ok, suggest you make sure you is using the "older" chipset drivers from VIA as of 2001 ... you could even use the original off the CD that came with the MB.

Then use XP update site, via the custom button, and look for anything they may have.

If that don't work, take out 2gig, ie; just leave one stick o' ram in there and try again.

Your 'conflict' is with the MB & Via's inexperience with XP to produce anything decent in drivers.

With the hardware you got, 1.5MB ram is the sweet spot, anything more is a waste of time. Stick with 1gig if it works. :nod:

:user:

Reaction score
OK, re-installed the 2001 VIA drivers but no luck with finding anything on the windows up-date site so I guess taking some of the additional RAM out is the next step (sigh).

Wierd thing is though, it has worked fine on a couple of occaissions -once after I ran a Registry cleaing app and once after I fiddled with the BIOS settings to no effect and changed them back to the defaults (?), as a result I created a restore point which I also used once successfully but it doesn't do the job anymore?

Another couple of things that have happened since I did the RAM up-grade is that I've noticed that the 'stand-by' option is now greyed out when I turn off?? And after we got back from going away for Xmas (only 2 days) the PC's clock and date were 2 days out when I booted up? Coinicidental issues??

Reaction score
Sidney66 said:
OK, re-installed the 2001 VIA drivers but no luck with finding anything on the windows up-date site so I guess taking some of the additional RAM out is the next step (sigh).

Wierd thing is though, it has worked fine on a couple of occaissions -once after I ran a Registry cleaing app and once after I fiddled with the BIOS settings to no effect and changed them back to the defaults (?), as a result I created a restore point which I also used once successfully but it doesn't do the job anymore?

Another couple of things that have happened since I did the RAM up-grade is that I've noticed that the 'stand-by' option is now greyed out when I turn off?? And after we got back from going away for Xmas (only 2 days) the PC's clock and date were 2 days out when I booted up? Coinicidental issues??

With regards to the standby issue this is linked to the display drivers not being installed, once these are installed the standby option should work again. That was the case with when I had the problem anyway.

The time issue, how old is the computer, if the computer is still lossing time then I reconmmend that you change the CMOS battery on the motherboard as these can wear out over time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Wiz

Ask a Question