Next Day Delivery, or Not!

Reaction score
So i buy something on amazon yesterday, as many do!
I pay for next day delivery as i want it today!
And i order it in plenty of time!
I get an email to say it's on it's way, but it's not!
It's now coming 4 days later!
Do i get a refund of the Next Day Delivery?
Probably, but not till at least Thursday?
Why?
So who's fault is it?
Probably mine for wanting it next day!
Not impressed!!!
And would have been easier to pay petrol, pay to park car & buy it it town!!!!!!!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
And would have been easier to pay petrol, pay to park car & buy it it town!!!!!!!

Well, looking at your story, yes it would have got your item much more quickly.

But how big a discount did you get at Amazon? And how much hassle is it to drive to the shop and park.

I hate shopping so would go with Amazon every time, even if it took longer. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'd take a guess and say, it was an Amazon 'partner' and not Amazon. :)

then again

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yodel, its always Yodel. Or a marketplace seller.

Reaction score
Got a refund of the next day delivery cost in full.:)
And will get the item probably Monday, but lets wait and see!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Grrrr... don't mention Royal Mail (spit!) Just colour me purple with anger right now. Specifically, it's because of their ability to be so economical with the truth.

I too ordered an item from Amazon - a gift for hubby's up and coming birthday. I'm a "Prime" customer, and this item happened to qualify for next-day delivery. The vendor dispatched it in super-quick time, and using the Royal Mail tracking facility, I could follow the progress of the package, up to the point when it reached our local DO (delivery office...)

Apparently, the parcel was loaded onto the van at 7:36:30 AM... but, just 2 seconds later, at 7:36:40 AM.... the tracking info stated that "delivery attempted" and went on to explain, "...could not be delivered ... the address was inaccessible."

Whaaa...? Don't get me wrong, yes, we've had snow here, but by then, (23rd) the roads were looking pretty clear.... and guess what..? Yes, a Royal Mail van actually passed our door at 11:30-ish, made a delivery to a neighbouring house, then passed back again about 5 minutes later!

I also checked Amazon's tracking facility, which made similar reading, but, with a slight difference. This time, at 7:36:40 AM the "Carrier unable to locate customer's address..." double whaaa...?? We've only lived here for a mere 40 years (well, just one year short of that, if we're being pedantic..) and posties (plus other delivery people) have been able to find us pretty easily - and regularly - over that time.

So - you'd think that a telephone call to the local DO might sort things out... wouldn't you..? Er no. It wouldn't. The guy at the office mumbled and bumbled about - didn't even have the common sense to ask for the tracking number and instead kept telling us that Amazon "might have used a different carrier... " and telling us that we couldn't be certain it was sent via Royal Mail.

Aaaarrrgh! Taking a deep breath, he was told that how we KNEW the parcel was at his office, was because we were staring at their website on a computer screen, which stated that the blooming parcel "...is being held at our DO pending collection/redelivery instructions from the addressee." Now would he like to take down the tracking number and please check...?

Could almost hear the light bulb switching on in the man's head! Sorry, being rude, but - really??

It was obviously a bit much for his braincells to cope with, because we then heard a woman's voice on the line - she was supposed to be some sort of supervisor. Hah! Another joke. She too haggled and twisted, telling us all about the snow and great backlog of mail.... (how come it was so great? It's not a holiday or anything?) Finally, she promised that it would be sent out the next day (yesterday) or, maybe the day after......

Still no sign of the confounded parcel!

But to add insult to injury, the blasted postie visited yesterday, with another item (dispatched a day later than the original item, and NOT a qualifying "Prime" so a bit unexpected.) I would have nobbled him to ask what had happened to the other one, but his delivery coincided with a visit from someone else at exactly the same time, so the chance was missed.

Meanwhile, Amazon are asking me to rate the item we've yet to receive.........DOH! :wall:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I had a replacement burpday present delivered 4 weeks after my burpday, it wasn't Amazon's fault the original never arrived.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bloomin' heck TC, reading that was getting ME mad. I have related tales of woe concerning the 'Royal Mail' here in the past and I too have no confidence in them - what does it take to get something right?

Good luck with your parcel anyhows.

I recently bought a vinyl LP from Amazon, it came from the USA via an Amazon supplier in Greenford Middx. and took ten days to arrive. Twenty seconds in it started jumping, was supposed to be brand new, so I contacted Amazon who e-mailed me a FREEPOST returns label.

Nine days later not a sign so I contacted Amazon again (via their online service) and within 2 days a refund appeared in my bank.

I eventually bought a used copy of the album on Ebay, it arrived within two days and played perfectly, despite having a heritage from 1969. And it's on the original label as well.

Royal Mail did actually deliver my new camera ok recently though.... but you don't to hear that - no! :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
By the way, there's a rider to my above ramblings... I thought I'd try the on-site procedure for getting mail "re-delivered" thinking that the written word might have more oomph than a forgotten telephone conversation.

But guess what? To use that route, one needs to have one of RM's little red, failed-delivery ticket thingies, which apparently contain a reference number (or something.) Naturally, we don't have one, because delivery didn't "fail" it was never actually attempted. So can't use the online form either. :rolleyes: Coupled with which... RM website is currently down for maintenance! Sheesh!

Very glad to hear you received your camera safely Flopps - also that you were able to get a refund for the faulty album. But to be fair, Amazon are normally very good about refunds; a few months ago, they gave me an extra (free) month of "Prime" when another delivery went spectacularly wrong. I'd prefer to deal with them than the darned Post Office/Royal Mail, any day. :nod:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all those wrong, misplaced,and unattempted deliveries. I am very surprised to hear that Royal Mail being no good. Here in the US we have USPS, but they are pretty good at most everything and very timely. I too have a story to tell about USPS. :D

Last week I went to the post office near my home to send out a letter, not urgent but important nonetheless. The conversation went like this.

Clerk: Sir, would you like to send it out for guaranteed delivery tomorrow noon for $12.65?
Me: No thank you.
Clerk: Sir how about certified mail for $5.65?
Me: No I just want to send it by ordinary mail.
Clerk: Sir you will have to pay for the envelope and the stamp.
Me: Yes of course, how much is the total?
Clerk: Sir it is 50 cents for the envelope and 44 cents for the postage, that will be 94 cents in total.
I paid the clerk promptly, thanked her and out I went.

I was able to confirm later that the letter was delivered the next day to the addressee. :lol:

I was well aware of this as I had similar experience in the past. Why should I pay $ 12.65 for something which I can send out for 44 cents. I actually could have brought an envelope with me and saved the 50 cents too but since I forgot I just picked it up from the shelf where they keep a variety of envelopes for customers.

There has been a mushroom growth of courier service companies in the US and the competition is so severe that most of the business of USPS has been wiped off. They are making huge losses every year and according to some the USPS will eventually close its doors for business in just few years from now. Big businesses are mainly using FedEx or UPS who are growing day by day.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Guess what..? Yes, the package was finally delivered this morning........OPENED! The original clear sticky-tape seal had been slit open. "Covering" this, was some buff-coloured parcel tape, which was not stuck down, but hanging in a streamer. There was also a label on one side which said "Do not open" ......so go figure. Someone evidently did. :mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd return it out of principle TC.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Take pics, tell/show Amazon and someone in authority at PO ... seems like the antics of a tea-leaf to me. :(

Reaction score
Sorry to her your problems TC.:mad:
Got my package today via DPD who emailed me to tell me what time, but i was at work!
Must be signed for or it would not get delivered, just got put through the post box.
So i could say i have not got it?
But only if i was not honest!!!

Ask a Question