Newsreader

C.B.

I posted this question in the WLM discussion group but forgot to
crosspost it to general. I did not multipost and I hope you don't consider
this a multipost. If so, I apologize.
WLM lacks a tutorial and I am tired of bothering everyone with my
multitude of questions, questions that seem stupid to experienced users of
newsgroups.
If anyone out there is using a newsreader that contains a viable
tutorial or explicit instructions on how to use the newsreader or a help
section that includes answers to my questions please give me the name of the
newsreader or a link to it so that I may purchase it.
I am tired of wasting my time in WLM seeking answers that should be
included with the newsreader and I am tired of wasting your time also. The
help section of WLM is absolutely worthless. For example, I can mark a
message or all messages as read. Good. That's nice. However, what is the
consequence of marking a message as read and/or why do I wish to mark a
message as read? I can select "catch up". OK. Catch up what? Catch up to
what? Or is this something like Ketchup? I can flag a message, but for what
reason? What does flagging a message do? How about unscramble? Unscramble
what? One more example: In Options, Advanced Tab I have the option to "Mark
Message Threads I start as Watched". I open the help section and cannot find
anything related to Watch Messages. I go to the search bar in help and type
"Mark Message Threads I start as Watched". No results. I then type "Watched
messages". No results, so I type in Watch messages and find nothing. I'm
sure I could figure out the meanings of all these things if I wish to spend
hours or weeks researching the issue but that is a total waste of my time. I
can read a tutorial in one hour and have all the answers to my questions or
I can continue to post my questions to a newsgroup for a year or more until
I find answers to all the functions, settings and listings in the
newsreader. I am also tired of the humiliation that comes with people
thinking I am some kind of moron. I come across as someone who is an idiot
and/or retarded and I don't like the feeling.
Am I inexperienced with newsreaders? The answer to that question is
quite obvious. Am I lacking in knowledge because I have failed to search for
it? Quite the contrary. I will search for hours or days before I ask someone
else for assistance. Are people in these newsgroups getting sick and tired
of seeing my postings about subjects concerning the newsreader in WLM. Of
course they are. Am I the new poster child for stupidity? Probably. Am I
becoming the laughingstock of these newsgroups? If not already, I will be
soon.
I am not asking for answers to any of the examples listed above. I just
want the name of, or a link to, a good newsreader that comes with a tutorial
or a viable help section.
Thank you for any assistance you may provide.

C.B.

If You Don't Like Windows Mail 6.0.16386, Then I Would Suggest Trying Out
Either Mozilla Thunder Bird, Or Mozilla Sea Monkey, Just FYI. You Also Could
Try Updating To Service Pack One (Just Google For The Registry Hack, Trust
Me, It's All Over The Place On The Internet), And That Will Update Windows
Mail To 6.1.18000, Also Just FYI.

Previously Tiberius

I have used all newsreaders known to man..

but frankly I dont know what you are complaining about WLM as a newsreader,
its similar to oulook express- windows mail in nature and function
They share the same origin, Outlook express code is the basis for WLM and
WM.
for example that catchup is in both the programs I said.... only the
interface has changed a bit in WLM because it handles Live mail accounts and
RSS

Same ol same ol....

why dont you just use Windows Mail? not many bells and whistles but it can
do the job

ThunderBird or seamonkey are irritating IMHO.

Spanky deMonkey

Previously Tiberius said:
I have used all newsreaders known to man..

and you can leap tall buildings in a single bound... you can pick the
lottery numbers before they are drawn.... you can predict interest rates
weeks before the move....

Here comes the crap everyone.... Just Like I predicted.

LAB Enterprises

The things you are asking about are common to ALL newsreaders not just WLM,
so you are still not going to know what these things are/do if you get
something else. I've never seen a definition of the terms anywhere.

Marking a message as read hides it from view if you have 'hide read
messages" turned on it options. This is a handy way to see just the newest
messages.

Catch up marks all messages as read - you have "caught up" on it

Watching a message puts a small symbol next to it so you can find it and
replies to it easier. Great for a thread you start and want to be sure not
to miss the replies of, hence the option.

Unscramble decodes binary attachments. Most message forums don't allow
binary attachments (the ones that do have .binary in their title), so you
don't have to worry about it. Binary is used for large image or video files
I think.

At least that is what I have found in using any newsreader.

Lori

C.B.

If You Don't Like Windows Mail 6.0.16386, Then I Would Suggest Trying Out
Either Mozilla Thunder Bird, Or Mozilla Sea Monkey, Just FYI. You Also
Could Try Updating To Service Pack One (Just Google For The Registry Hack,
Trust Me, It's All Over The Place On The Internet), And That Will Update
Windows Mail To 6.1.18000, Also Just FYI.

Kevpan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware that I can hack the registry and
obtain SP1 but I'll wait until I can get it through Windows Update. I've
already tested the SP1 Beta, SP1 RC Refresh and SP1 Refresh2. I think what
we will be getting in SP1 RTM will be similar to Refresh2 with a few tweaks.

C.B.

C.B.

Previously Tiberius said:
I have used all newsreaders known to man..

but frankly I dont know what you are complaining about WLM as a
newsreader, its similar to oulook express- windows mail in nature and
function
They share the same origin, Outlook express code is the basis for WLM and
WM.
for example that catchup is in both the programs I said.... only the
interface has changed a bit in WLM because it handles Live mail accounts
and RSS

Same ol same ol....

why dont you just use Windows Mail? not many bells and whistles but it
can do the job

ThunderBird or seamonkey are irritating IMHO.

Previously Tiberius,

Thank you for the reply. I was not complaining about WLM as a
newsreader. I was complaining about the fact there are no instructions
concerning the settings, functions and configurability of the newsreader.
I am aware that WLM is similar to OE. However, I have never used OE,
Outlook or Windows Mail. I always used my ATT Yahoo mail account. I have
never used a newsreader before, which is the reason I am so ignorant about
the use of newsreaders.
I think I now understand what Catch up means. I think it has something
to do with RSS but I'm not certain. I'm still looking.

C.B.

C.B.

LAB Enterprises said:
The things you are asking about are common to ALL newsreaders not just
WLM, so you are still not going to know what these things are/do if you
get something else. I've never seen a definition of the terms anywhere.

Well, I assume this means if I use a different newsreader I'll still be
without a tutorial explaining the various functions, settings and
configurations of a newsreader. If that's the case I really have no need to
use a different newsreader.
Marking a message as read hides it from view if you have 'hide read
messages" turned on it options. This is a handy way to see just the newest
messages.

When I installed WLM the default setting, in Options under the Read tab,
"Mark message read after displaying for 1 second(s) was already checked. I
assume this to mean that it is marked as read after I open the thread and
view the post for 1 second. If my assumption is correct please let me know.
However, if I close WLM and reopen it the messages I have already displayed
before or read before are still showing so I guess I still don't understand
it.
Catch up marks all messages as read - you have "caught up" on it

If I click on "Catch up" does that remove all current messages,
preventing me from seeing them the next time I open WLM or in the future?
I'm sorry for asking, but I just don't know.
Watching a message puts a small symbol next to it so you can find it and
replies to it easier. Great for a thread you start and want to be sure not
to miss the replies of, hence the option.

Since I am on a learning curve regarding newsreaders it would probably
be advantageous for me to select this option.
Unscramble decodes binary attachments. Most message forums don't allow
binary attachments (the ones that do have .binary in their title), so you
don't have to worry about it. Binary is used for large image or video
files I think.

At least that is what I have found in using any newsreader.

Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate your assistance.

C.B.