Newsgroups - Deletion of previous messages

Tom Berry

I have having a problem deleting previous downloads from newsgroups on my
new Vista computer. I have used: Tools>Options>Advanced>Maintenance>Clean
Up Now and pressed the buttons for all 3 functions: Remove Messages, Delete,
and Reset. Even so, when I sign back on to a newsgroup I accessed
previously, the previous messages are all there. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would me appreciated.

Tom

Tom Berry

That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to delete my local
storage of previously read messages. How do I do that?

Whenever I access a newsgroup I've previously visited I get the entire list
I previously downloaded. What I want is only the messages that have been
added to the group since I previously visited it.

Thank you for your reply,

Tom

Tom Berry

I appreciate the help, but this just doesn't work. Everytime I sign on to a
group there are more messages than the previous time. All messages I
previously downloaded on prior days are still retrieved from somewhere--but
I don't know where. They must be on my machine locally, but I just can't
find them. I do the DELETE under maintenance everytime before I sign off
the newsgroup. Then I do the DELETE again but the next time I access the
group they are still there. This has me baffled.

I appreciate the help.

Tom

Steve Cochran

I don't know what to suggest then. The way I do it is to show only read
messages and then when I leave a NG, then I mark them all read. Then when I
come back, I only see the new ones, since those are unread.

steve

Tom Berry

Thank you. This doesn't delete my local cache of previously downloaded
messages, but it does allow me to view only new unread messages and that is
what I was trying to do.

Tom