Newsgroup access problem

-keevill-

I am having a problem with my ISP and accessing newsgroups. I have been
using the inbuilt newsreader in Vista and also Newsrover for a long time
with no problems but recently I notice that whilst I can login to the NG and
start to download from the server, it has become very slow and times out
after a few messages have been downloaded.
However, if I take my computer to another location with a different ISP,
then everything works again properly.
Therefore I am assuming that my ISP has started some sort of blocking or
throttling.
Could they have changed some setting requiring me to change something
perhaps MTU or ?
It's not just binary stuff giving problems, even accessing this NG has had
to be done from a different location using the ISP of a friend.
Like I say, it's not like they have totally blocked access just made it too
slow to work with.
Apart from using web based access to the groups ( which won't work for
binaries in my case ) how can I get around this ? Can I use another port or
something like that to trick my ISP?
Sadly changing my ISP is not an option .

Snidley W.

-keevill- said:
I am having a problem with my ISP and accessing newsgroups. I have been
using the inbuilt newsreader in Vista and also Newsrover for a long time
with no problems but recently I notice that whilst I can login to the NG and
start to download from the server, it has become very slow and times out
after a few messages have been downloaded.
However, if I take my computer to another location with a different ISP,
then everything works again properly.
Therefore I am assuming that my ISP has started some sort of blocking or
throttling.
Could they have changed some setting requiring me to change something
perhaps MTU or ?

When you called their support desk, what did they tell you?

It's not just binary stuff giving problems, even accessing this NG has had
to be done from a different location using the ISP of a friend.
Like I say, it's not like they have totally blocked access just made it too
slow to work with.
Apart from using web based access to the groups ( which won't work for
binaries in my case ) how can I get around this ? Can I use another port or
something like that to trick my ISP?
Sadly changing my ISP is not an option .

Why do you feel you need to "trick" them? Do you have some inside
knowledge that your account is definitely being "throttled" and are
trying to find a work around?

-keevill-

When you called their support desk, what did they tell you?

'What are newsgroups? - we don't have any'

Why do you feel you need to "trick" them? Do you have some inside
knowledge that your account is definitely being "throttled" and are
trying to find a work around?

My question was hoping to elicit some response from someone who 'may' have
some idea of what is happening and who can suggest some course of action.

Tim Slattery

-keevill- said:
Apart from using web based access to the groups ( which won't work for
binaries in my case ) how can I get around this ? Can I use another port or
something like that to trick my ISP?

For accessing the microsoft.public.* newsgroups, you can point your
newsreader at msnews.microsoft.com. For other groups, there are a
number of outfits that provide newsgroup access for a fee. One such
(just as a f'rinstance, I haven't used their service so can offer no
opinion on it) is Forte, Inc., the makers of the Agent newsreader.
Their offer can be found at http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php