Newer version of Outlook Express

Joseph Ferraro

I am currently using Windows XP SP2 with Outlook Express 6.0.2900.2180 as my
newsreader - is there a newer version of Outlook Express and if so, where
can i download it.

I have checked the Microsoft website and cant find anything.

Thanks in advance

John Barnett MVP

Not at the moment there isn't. You have the most up to date version.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

Ken Blake

In
Joseph Ferraro said:
I am currently using Windows XP SP2 with Outlook Express
6.0.2900.2180 as my newsreader - is there a newer version of
Outlook
Express

No, that's the current version.

PA Bear

According to his headers (Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.2180), OP has not installed either 887797 or 900930.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
[microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress is *not* a
newsgroup on the MS server!]
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

FeMaster

What is the newest version of OE when NOT running SP2? Hopefully the one I
am using...
6.00.2800.1123

PA Bear said:
According to his headers (Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express
6.00.2900.2180), OP has not installed either 887797 or 900930.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
[microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress is *not* a
newsgroup on the MS server!]
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Mikhail said:
As it is said already, it is the latest version.

The (latest) actual updates for OE of WinXP-SP2, if I haven't missed
anything, were:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900930

and if you've installed them -- no need to bother.

PA Bear

The most current version of Outlook Express (MSIMN.EXE) in WinXP SP1 is
indeed v6.00.2800.1123, running with MSOE.DLL v6.00.2800.1506.
--

Mikhail said:
As it is said already, it is the latest version.

The (latest) actual updates for OE of WinXP-SP2, if I haven't missed
anything, were:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=887797
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900930

and if you've installed them -- no need to bother.

I am currently using Windows XP SP2 with Outlook Express 6.0.2900.2180
as
my newsreader - is there a newer version of Outlook Express and if so,
where can i download it.

I have checked the Microsoft website and cant find anything.

Can I ask why you're using OE for your newsreader when MUCH better (and
FREE) programs like XNews are available for that single purpose? Plus they
automatically decode Yenc files if encountered.

You would be much happier with something like XNews as your Usenet Newsgroup
reader, take my word for it (I used to use OE before I knew better).

Ken Blake, MVP

Can I ask why you're using OE for your newsreader when MUCH better
(and FREE) programs like XNews are available for that single purpose?
Plus they automatically decode Yenc files if encountered.

You would be much happier with something like XNews as your Usenet
Newsgroup reader, take my word for it (I used to use OE before I knew
better).

Which newsreader is best is a matter of personal opinion, and reflects
different people's likes and dislikes, as well as the way they work. If
*you* prefer XNews, that's fine for you, but do not assume that because you
like it better, everyone else will. I've tried most of the newsreaders
available, including XNews and Agent (another highly-touted choice) and I
keep coming back to Outlook Express because it suits *my* way of working and
I like it better..

I'm not trying to convince you that my choice is best for you, but please
don't assume that your choice is best for everyone either. As a single
example of how we all differ, you may find XNews handling of Yenc files an
important point in its favor, but I, on the other hand, find it a useless
feature, because I don't frequent binary newsgroups and have no interest in
Yenc files.

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Can I ask why you're using OE for your newsreader when MUCH better
(and FREE) programs like XNews are available for that single purpose?
Plus they automatically decode Yenc files if encountered.

You would be much happier with something like XNews as your Usenet
Newsgroup reader, take my word for it (I used to use OE before I knew
better).

How is it that you "know better," and you're using a "real" newsreader,
but you haven't learned how to post correctly? One of the biggest
arguments against OE is that it encourages top-posting, but most of the
top-posters I see today are using some other newsreader.

I have tried nearly every newsreader there is, including those with the
GNKSA, and I have always come back to Outlook Express. I would never use
it without QuoteFix, but that's just a personal preference for ease of
use.

As for yENc, who cares?

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Insisting on perfect safety is for people
without the balls to live in the real world.
Mary Shafer Iliff