New TV Advice

Reaction score
Hey,

Someone I know wants to buy a new TV for her boyfriend, needs to do it soon though.

Budget of £600/£700 and is looking for the best she can get for that money. Any ideas? I think for that price should be able to get something really good with the drop in prices of these things.

One thing, LCD or Plasma?

Reaction score
Look on the Curries website..I recently bought a Samsung 36" wide screen, HD ready, with built in freeview, and a host of other fancy bits..All for the lovely price of £449.99..The down side to the cheapish TV was the wall mount bracket which cost me a further £150, but in my place it is essential, up on the wall where 5 year olds can't fiddle is best..lol

Reaction score
Get one of these from Curry`s you wont regret it [BRILLIANT]LG 42LC46 42" HD Ready LCD TV with Stand

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice. I see the Samsung one Waynos has recommended looks good, but the LG one is 5" bigger. Is there anything which makes the Samsung much better given it's smaller?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Get LCD; digital tuner (analogue is being phased out soon); minimum 32" and definitely 1080 resolution.

Come the end of this year any TV with 768 res is going to seem a little passe.

As are TV's with only an analogue tuner.

Waynos' link to the 37" Samsung 1080 is perfect for £600.00 :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Cheers for the advice. I see the Samsung one Waynos has recommended looks good, but the LG one is 5" bigger. Is there anything which makes the Samsung much better given it's smaller?

Yes, the LG only has 1366 x 768 resolution.

1080 models do cost a fair bit more.

Size or quality - your choice.

I was actually looking at LCD TV's in Richer Sounds at Bromley yesterday, saw two LG sets, both 37", one 768, one 1080. It was easy to tell the difference.

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I've had a look and I agree with you all, the 1080 is worth going for. The 37" Samsung looks good, however on Amazon, they have the 40" for £7 more than Currys have the 37". Only thing i'm unsure of is that there could be something not as good as the 37" one that i've not spotted. Could someone with a bit more technical know-how have a quick look at this for me and let me know what they think please................

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A559P-Widescreen-1080P-Freeview/dp/B0015CBLDM/ref=pd_sbs_ce_2

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=488586&camp_id=ppc_tvcamp

Same TV £10 cheaper!

Its fine, 3 x HDMI, 1080p, plus the contrast is 30000:1 which is very good, the higher the contrast the clearer and sharper and better colours.

That is the only difference between the two tv's

37" - 15,000:1
40" - 30,000:1

Even though the contrast is twice as much its on a bigger screen, but the picture quality will be better on the 40.

Lastly, the 37" is last years model (1 range old) the 40 is also last years model but (2 ranges old), upto you.

I would go with the 37" as i think 40 is tooooooooo big, i have a 32" at the mo and but they are very bright on the eyes, if they have a big living room get the 40, if not 37 is best.

Hope this helps.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
1 bit of advice, if your friends are gonna be using HDMI, for PS3, PC etc then get a good one, go to Game or HMV and get a Plotek (might be the right spelling).

For about £35 you get a top of the range HDMI lead and a SPDIF audio lead, don't get one from currys or dixons as they are tres exspensive.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very nice tv Frodo..:nod: Like your stand too..

For anyone else out there looking for a large screen flat TV general advice is don't bother with anything other than 1080p as this is true HD
All the others advertising 1080i and under are not true HD..Also the general consensus of the best brands in LCD technology out there at the moment seem to be Samsung, Panasonic and LG
Plasma technology has better colour rendition especially on black and darker colours but offer a shorter lifespan and get hotter..

You pays your money and takes your choice..;)

Reaction score
Thanks crazylegs beleive it or not that stand was £180 ridiculous amoount but couldn't find one similar and needed the tv to sit against the wall.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I've had a look and I agree with you all, the 1080 is worth going for. The 37" Samsung looks good, however on Amazon, they have the 40" for £7 more than Currys have the 37". Only thing i'm unsure of is that there could be something not as good as the 37" one that i've not spotted. Could someone with a bit more technical know-how have a quick look at this for me and let me know what they think please................

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A559P-Widescreen-1080P-Freeview/dp/B0015CBLDM/ref=pd_sbs_ce_2

I can't see any drawbacks with that model at all, it looks good :thumb:

Tempted to get one myself.

WF posted saying it was cheaper at Dixons but the £19.90 delivery charge makes them cost about the same. Amazon give free delivery on that model.

Also, Amazon have great customer service whereas Dixons generally do not.

Have you made a decision yet Bodhi?

Ask a Question