New System help please?

G

G

I am going to build a new system for Flight Simulator FSX version and intend to run it with my current version of XP Home Edition.

I cannot afford to buy everything at once so will be buying month by month a bit of hardware at a time.

I have just bought my first item....

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU. Hope this was a good choice?

I am looking at a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 but have seen that I should hang on until the end of July for a price drop is that correct?

Also I am a fan of nVidia cards can someone recommend which would work best for my Flight Sim.

Would also appreciate a good Mobo suggestion to run all this?

Many thanks for any help!

Graham

E

Ed Medlin

I am going to build a new system for Flight Simulator FSX version and intend to run it with my current version of XP Home Edition.

I cannot afford to buy everything at once so will be buying month by month a bit of hardware at a time.

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU. Hope this was a good choice?

-I would have probably gone with a PSU of at least 500w in a new system. With my setup I use a PC P&C Silencer 750w SLI

I am looking at a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 but have seen that I should hang on until the end of July for a price drop is that correct?

-The price drop was a month or so ago on the 'E' series processors. I have heard that there might be a drop in the 'QX' processors, but later in the year.

Also I am a fan of nVidia cards can someone recommend which would work best for my Flight Sim.

-FSX is both CPU and GPU hungry. I use two Nvidia 8800 GTX cards in SLI with my liquid cooled E6600 2.4 @ 3.2 (pretty easy OC for my processor at least).

-I used the Asus P5N32 SLI, but there are some newer chipsets becoming available that will run faster memory and at higher FSBs. Do a bit of research at www.tomshardware.com for some of the new offerings.

Many thanks for any help
Graham

You have to remember that FSX is a tough beast. If you plan on seeing 30-40+ fps in dense scenery you will be disappointed with any configuration of today's hardware. All you can expect is smooth operation without stuttering in dense scenery. I listed a detailed summary of my system at microsoft.public.simulators and you can see my results there. Good luck.

Ed

G

G

-I would have probably gone with a PSU of at least 500w in a new system. With my setup I use a PC P&C Silencer 750w SLI

-The price drop was a month or so ago on the 'E' series processors. I have heard that there might be a drop in the 'QX' processors, but later in the year.

-FSX is both CPU and GPU hungry. I use two Nvidia 8800 GTX cards in SLI with my liquid cooled E6600 2.4 @ 3.2 (pretty easy OC for my processor at least).

-I used the Asus P5N32 SLI, but there are some newer chipsets becoming available that will run faster memory and at higher FSBs. Do a bit of research at www.tomshardware.com for some of the new offerings.

Many thanks for any help
Graham

You have to remember that FSX is a tough beast. If you plan on seeing 30-40+ fps in dense scenery you will be disappointed with any configuration of today's hardware. All you can expect is smooth operation without stuttering in dense scenery. I listed a detailed summary of my system at microsoft.public.simulators and you can see my results there. Good luck.

Ed

Cheers Ed will take a look!

Graham

G

G

Many thanks for any help
Graham

Ed

Cheers Ed will take a look!

Graham

Can someone tell me if the Asus P5B would be a good choice mobo for a Core 2 Duo system?

Don't need any fancy stuff, no raid etc, and will only be running one graphic card.

Thanks

G

G

G said:
Oops sorry didn't realise I was!

Sorry!

Sorry just noticed the setting and turned it off, guess that is why I was not getting any replies, oops sorry guys!

S

sdlomi2

I am going to build a new system for Flight Simulator FSX version and intend
to run it with my current version of XP Home Edition.

I cannot afford to buy everything at once so will be buying month by month a
bit of hardware at a time.

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU.
Hope this was a good choice?

I am looking at a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 but have seen that I should hang on
until the end of July for a price drop is that correct?

Also I am a fan of nVidia cards can someone recommend which would work best
for my Flight Sim.

Graham

Look at post 2 above here by Travis McGee for mobo selecting where he
advises " for your mobo, go to newegg.com and search for either an Asus or
MSI
board based on your needs.

"Filter by "best rating" and scroll till you find your price point and CPU
choice, along with the features you want.

"There are other choices, but you can't go wrong doing dat."
s

G

G

sdlomi2 said:
I am going to build a new system for Flight Simulator FSX version and
intend to run it with my current version of XP Home Edition.

I cannot afford to buy everything at once so will be buying month by month
a bit of hardware at a time.

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0
PSU. Hope this was a good choice?

I am looking at a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 but have seen that I should hang
on until the end of July for a price drop is that correct?

Also I am a fan of nVidia cards can someone recommend which would work
best for my Flight Sim.

Graham

Look at post 2 above here by Travis McGee for mobo selecting where he
advises " for your mobo, go to newegg.com and search for either an Asus or
MSI
board based on your needs.

"Filter by "best rating" and scroll till you find your price point and CPU
choice, along with the features you want.

"There are other choices, but you can't go wrong doing dat."
s

Thanks 'S' really appreciate you posting a reply.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question