new San Disk Cruzer USB Flash Drive - can't insert

serveandlob

Geez, my Christmas present isn't working. I have this new SanDisk
Cruzer USB Flash Drive 1GB, and when I tried to insert it into any of
the two USB ports I have, it doesn't fit in. No problem on my son's
computer. He just stuck it into the USB port on his keyboard. Mine are
the little slots on the tower. I'm using one of the ports when I want
to download photos from my camera onto the hard drive via a little
attachment where one side plugs into the camera, the other end into the
USB port.
What gives? I'm on Windows XP, and the little blurb says I don't have
to install anything., but is says USB 2.0 port requiered for Hi-Speed
transfer - how do I find out what port I have. What can possibly be
wrong? What do I have to do. I've tried and tried to plug it in,
nothing doing. Please someone help me. Thanks.

Rock

Geez, my Christmas present isn't working. I have this new SanDisk
Cruzer USB Flash Drive 1GB, and when I tried to insert it into any of
the two USB ports I have, it doesn't fit in. No problem on my son's
computer. He just stuck it into the USB port on his keyboard. Mine are
the little slots on the tower. I'm using one of the ports when I want
to download photos from my camera onto the hard drive via a little
attachment where one side plugs into the camera, the other end into the
USB port.
What gives? I'm on Windows XP, and the little blurb says I don't have
to install anything., but is says USB 2.0 port requiered for Hi-Speed
transfer - how do I find out what port I have. What can possibly be
wrong? What do I have to do. I've tried and tried to plug it in,
nothing doing. Please someone help me. Thanks.

Are you by chance attempting to connect it to a firewire port?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

serveandlob said:
Geez, my Christmas present isn't working. I have this new SanDisk
Cruzer USB Flash Drive 1GB, and when I tried to insert it into any of
the two USB ports I have, it doesn't fit in. No problem on my son's
computer. He just stuck it into the USB port on his keyboard. Mine are
the little slots on the tower. I'm using one of the ports when I want
to download photos from my camera onto the hard drive via a little
attachment where one side plugs into the camera, the other end into the
USB port.
What gives? I'm on Windows XP, and the little blurb says I don't have
to install anything., but is says USB 2.0 port requiered for Hi-Speed
transfer - how do I find out what port I have. What can possibly be
wrong? What do I have to do. I've tried and tried to plug it in,
nothing doing. Please someone help me. Thanks.

Did you try turning it over? USB slots are polarized.

serveandlob

Sorry to appear dumb - is a firewire port the same as a firewall? I
believe I have a firewall through my router. The flash drive when I try
to insert it, just won't even go in, it feels as if it is wrong.

serveandlob

Yes, I tried both sides. A light on the flash drive is supposed to go
on, and that side should be up, but no light shows up at all, not a
flicker!!!!

Charlie Bress

When you first plug in the Cruzer you should get a message "new hardware
found" Clicking that will install the drivers and then the Cruzer will light
up.

If that message does not appear, try opening control panel and select new
hardware. It won't make any difference if you have USB 2.0 or not. That is
just a speed statement, not functionality.

Charlie

Rock

Ron Sommer

Some cameras use Firewire to transfer data instead of USB.

On my computer, the light is down when the Cruzer is inserted.
On another computer, the USB ports are vertical, not horizontal.

What do you mean by little blurb?
--
Ronald Sommer

:
: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM wrote:
[...]
: > >
: >
: > Did you try turning it over? USB slots are polarized.
: >
: > --
: > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
: > http://www.fjsmjs.com
: > Answer in newsgroup. Don't send mail.
:

Ron Sommer

My Cruzer lights up before the drivers are installed.
--
Ronald Sommer

"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message
[...]

If you were getting the USB 2.0 message, then the Cruzer was inserted.
Have you rebooted the computer?
Does your USB port have a USB symbol?
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/271149

This pictures shows a USB port and a Firewire port.
http://www.la.unm.edu/~beach/terms/figures/usb.html
--
Ronald Sommer

: the little blurb is the little instruction sheet.
:
: Ron Sommer wrote:
: > Some cameras use Firewire to transfer data instead of USB.
: >
: > On my computer, the light is down when the Cruzer is inserted.
: > On another computer, the USB ports are vertical, not horizontal.
: >
: > What do you mean by little blurb?
: > --
: > Ronald Sommer
: >
: >
: > : > : Yes, I tried both sides. A light on the flash drive is supposed to go
: > : on, and that side should be up, but no light shows up at all, not a
: > : flicker!!!!
: > :
[...]
: > : > >
: > : >
: > : > Did you try turning it over? USB slots are polarized.
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
: > : > http://www.fjsmjs.com
: > : > Answer in newsgroup. Don't send mail.
: > :
:

Allen

Ron said:
My Cruzer lights up before the drivers are installed.

I don't know what computer the OP is using, nor do I know what the
particular SanDisk looks like, but the problem possibly mechanical. One
of my flash drives is fairly wide and the shoulder is very close to the
connector. I loaded it with a bunch of photo files and took it to my
favorite print processing place. I couldn't get it to read, and
discovered that the reader's socket was very near the bezel around it
and also quite deeply set; the USB connector wasn't going into the
socket quite far enough to make a good connection. I moved to a
different machine (different brand) and had no trouble reading my files.
I hope this is clear; as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Allen

alanglloyd

serveandlob said:
Yes, I tried both sides. A light on the flash drive is supposed to go
on, and that side should be up, but no light shows up at all, not a
flicker!!!!
I have a 1Gb PNY Attache memory stick. While this will go into the USB
slot (one of a pair) when no other USB connector has been inserted, it
will not go in if the other slot has a connector in it.

The plastic imediately behind the rectangular metal part of the USB
connector is 9 mm thick, and 6mm behind this plastic it widens to 12mm
thick. It is this thicker portion which prevents insertion when another
connector is already in a slot.

BUT, my Attache came with a short length (400mm) of USB cable
extension, a normal thin (8mm thick plastic) plug one end, socket the
other, which I can use to connect to the USB slot even when another
connector is present.

I've always used this to connect my Attache memory stick, now I know
why it's necessary <g>.

Get yourself this short extension lead.

When I plug my PNY Attache in then the light flashes for 2 - 3 secs and
then goes out.

Just looked at the SanDisk Cruzer webpage on ...

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1225)-SanDisk_Cruzer_Contour_USB_Flash_Drive.aspx

.... have you "revealed" the connector ? I would think it could not be
plugged in until you did <GG>

Alan Lloyd

serveandlob

Thank you all for your prompt help. I found the problem: the actual
SanDisk Cruzer was too wide to be fully inserted. It fit fine into the
USB ports at the back. But the USB slots in the front are too far
recessed. So I bought an extension cable and it goes in just fine. Your
help was really appreciated. Thank God the answer was simple.

Ron Sommer

Thanks for reporting the solution.
--
Ronald Sommer

: Allen wrote:
: > Ron Sommer wrote:
[...]

that's exactly what the problem was! Only my neighbour figured it out.
Thank you all for your prompt help. I bought an extension cable which
plugs nicely into the usb port at the front and then into the flash
drive. Yippee!

Phisherman

Geez, my Christmas present isn't working. I have this new SanDisk
Cruzer USB Flash Drive 1GB, and when I tried to insert it into any of
the two USB ports I have, it doesn't fit in. No problem on my son's
computer. He just stuck it into the USB port on his keyboard. Mine are
the little slots on the tower. I'm using one of the ports when I want
to download photos from my camera onto the hard drive via a little
attachment where one side plugs into the camera, the other end into the
USB port.
What gives? I'm on Windows XP, and the little blurb says I don't have
to install anything., but is says USB 2.0 port requiered for Hi-Speed
transfer - how do I find out what port I have. What can possibly be
wrong? What do I have to do. I've tried and tried to plug it in,
nothing doing. Please someone help me. Thanks.

USB has changed the way we use devices. Unfortunately, PC makers
often place USB ports in inaccessible spots or put multiple ports too
close together. I suspect your SanDisk Cruzer is not making contact.
You might need to trim off some plastic on your case or plug in a USB
hub where you can plug in your Cruzer. Warning: Sometimes USB ports
on a hub don't work as they should. Check the back of your PC for
another USB port.

Go to Device Manager, expand the USB line by clicking on the plus
sign, and look for the word "Enhanced." That word means USB 2 which
will give the faster transfer speed. Unless your PC is old, it
probably has USB 2 which supports USB 1 devices too.

Phisherman

Sorry to appear dumb - is a firewire port the same as a firewall? I
believe I have a firewall through my router. The flash drive when I try
to insert it, just won't even go in, it feels as if it is wrong.

No. A firewall is for security. You can think of it like a security
guard who watches people as they enter and leave a building.

A firewire port looks like a house (a square with a roof on top).

A USB port looks like a rectangle. It contains 4 wires. Two wires
are for powering the device. Two wires are used for data transfer.

A plug should fit easily. Do not force it.

Ron Sommer

: On 12 Jan 2007 16:22:01 -0800, "serveandlob" <[email protected]>
: wrote:
:
[...]

You can buy an add-in card with USB 2.0 ports.