New Razer Boomslang

Reaction score
A new Boomslang has been announced. here's where to go to learn more if your interested: http://www.razerzone.com/

If you're not familiar with the 'legendary' Razer Boomslang mouse... it was developed a few years ago specifically for gamers. It rapidly developed a strong following and rave reviews by hard core and mainstream gamers for being an incredibly effective tool in First Person Shooters, largely due to its unique design (it looks more like a sports car than a mouse) and 1000 or 2000 dpi...which far exceeded the existing ball-mouse rates at the time. It also used an innovative approach to tracking: a ball mouse that ran on rollers, but was also scanned with a laser...sort of a hybrid ball/optical thingy.

However, even though the mouse was seemingly being snapped up left right and centre, the business had some problems and ceased to operate for the last 2 years. During that time, the mouse became (to some) almost a mythical creature. I was so intrigued that I ended up chasing one down and eventually getting a brand new one imported from Germany. A guy on ebay recently told me he paid nearly £90 for one (original price was around £40).

I tried it and was amazed just how much it improved my game (UT2003) over other mice. However, it has since been surpassed by the likes of the latest MS Explorer 3 and Logitech optical mice.

Now, though, there's a new and improved version of the Boomslang: the Mystify/Razer Boomslang 2500. I have not been able to see any actual reviews of this yet, abd it probably won't be available for a month or two at least. Also, even if you just happen to be a Boomslang fan, I would recommend waiting for the reviews before diving in. Personally. I'm surprised they didn't go for a Boomslang Optical....:roll:

If the url above is wrong, just type ''best gaming mouse'' in google...and check out what comes out first in the search :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
nice heads-up 1nteger :D

I've always been curious about those mice!!! They have rave reviews, but I have always wondered about them compared to optical mice. Would you recommend it over a new optical mouse, for gaming anyway?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Optical mouse for games?

I’ve got the “new” MX 700 from Logitech … I’m a little disappointed when playing games though … well I only play one game ((its an oldie)) but … It still has some “lag”, yep lag ? … with the technology today you’d think they could “solve” that little problem.

Nettie (my wife) and I play ONE game over our network … it is turn based, ok, don’t ask … we enjoy it, the thing is, when its my turn I have to move the mouse before I get a response … it seems to goes to sleep, I have to move it before it moves, if you know what I mean. LoL If it wasn’t for the shape that fits my hand to a tee I’d be looking for a new mouse. I do like the shape only the MS mouse comes close. The Logitech is half the price to the MS though.

Reaction score
Up until Microsoft increased the number of scans per second on their optical mice (and Logitech have caught up here), I would have said definitely go for a ball mouse, especially for First Person Shooters (FPS) and online games that involve 'twitching'...fast moves etc. Optical mice had a tendency to send you into an uncontrolable spin on screen. Some solutions included the use of graph paper and other gridded surfaces to allow the mouse to track more accurately. So, while the Boomslang had a bit of a learning curve, it was remarkably good once you got going, and definitely better than the rest for my own purposes and style of play. However...I have since tried the Logitech Dual Optical and the Microsoft Explorer 3, and both are superb even for FPS.

Logitech Dual Optical is what it sounds like...2 optical scanners instead of one. each scans at 800dpi and, as far as I understand it, the mouse actually determines which eye is scanning best at any one time and takes its reference from that (not, as I originally thought, that it used both eyes to generate X/Y co-ordinates).
The logitech is superbly built and relatively heavy which i think are good things. The only weaknesses for me were the relatively small main buttons and the fact that the middle wheel wouldn't operate properly in certain games (even after downloading a special patch from the Logitech site).

The mouse i currently use is the Microsoft Explorer 3 that has been upgraded from the original that scanned 1500 per sec, and now scans at 6000 per sec. It also has slight better thumb button design. This is, as far as I'm concerned, the gamer's mouse of choice at the moment. BUT...

While optical mice are not supposed to require a pad, for gaming I would say a good mousing suurface is essential. The key with optical mice is to go for the least friction you can possibly get, and for me there is only one winner here...the Ratpad (Ratpadz.com). There are others - like the everglide range etc, but I reckon the ratpad has it.

New mice: Logitech MX range...cordless mice are still not quite as good as corded ones. I think the MX700 (which has a rechargeable battery pack that sits on the desk) is probably the best cordless, and remains significantly cheaper than its Microsoft rival in the new bluetooth generation (which actually needs replacement batteries every few weeks!!). If I were going for logitech to compete with the Microsoft Explorer I'd probably try the MX500 which is the same button configuration and design as the 700 but benefits from a cord so suffers from less lag.

Anyway...that's my opinion based on a lifetime's search for the true gamer's mouse, and testing in online deathmatches in Quake2 and 3, Unreal Tournament and UT2003. These are the only games to play if you really want to test mouse response.
But at the end of the day, it's a very personal choice that has to be based on what you use a mouse for. I loved my Boomslang when gaming, but hated using it for day-to-day Windows stuff...thank God for USB!! But with the MS Explorer, it handles absolutely everything brilliantly.

...er...I'll stop there. :eek:

Reaction score
...here's a piccy of my Boomslang sitting quietly on the ratpad...just for you to slobber over!:spin:

Attachments

• mouse.jpg
    mouse.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 16,480

Ask a Question