Windows 10 new major update today, DON'T INSTALL IT!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a lucky one, but updated 2 systems today and all ok so far :).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you 'guys' are the lucky ones ... there are a ton of others who ain't so lucky. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There's a ton who have had no issues as well. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Never mind the Microsoft update, that bloody Windows Central website froze my machine. Twice :mad:

I have automatic updates turned off in Win 10 and every 4 weeks or so I update manually so I haven't been afflicted/benefitted (<<delete where relevant) from the Anniversary patch atm.

Reaction score
I honestly did like Windows 8.1 but when I converted or rather forced to convert to Windows 10, my problem was I preferred 8.1, then the debacle about the data mining that was going on with Windows 10 I took the plunge and converted to Mint which I found suited me better than the offerings that Microsoft were giving me. The other thing that also converted me to Linux was the cost of apps and other softwareone ether needed for Windows for good security which wasn't security as everything was being download to MS so much for privacy and who would they SELL that info to???.
Once I had converted to Mint I found I did not miss MS offerings, it did everything I needed to do, there is a great support community if you have problems not that I have had many problems and as a pensioner it does not cost a penny ether for the operating system or the apps where as MS offerings if you want the best anti virus, anti Malware etc costs a bomb.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Updated two systems manually today and no obvious problems. :)

Takes a ruddy long time though. :D

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more helpful if, instead of just saying "Don't do this upgrade" you gave us some reasons not to ? What's so poisonous about it ?

Personally not having any problems with Win10 upgrades

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more helpful if, instead of just saying "Don't do this upgrade" you gave us some reasons not to ? What's so poisonous about it ?

Personally not having any problems with Win10 upgrades

Well, after the (admittedly) rather sensationalist instruction not to upgrade there is a link.

Clicking on the link will take you to an article headlined:

'Stuck installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update? Here we show you the most common problems and how to fix them.'

Which it does, therefore giving reasons not to install the upgrade which in turn would also explain what's so poisonous about it, as you put it.

The same article also gives solutions and workarounds to the more common problems encountered when applying this latest Microsoft 'upgrade'

On a side note I fail to see how making Cortana more prominent is an upgrade, I'd consider being able to uninstall this annoying feature a good upgrade, not giving it more importance.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
In the past with major updates, be it IOS, OS X, Android or any of the Windows service packs I have always waited for the debugged version. I installed this Anniversary as it came out and had no problems.

Ask a Question