New LCD :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well yesterday i decieded to go out on a whim, and bought myself a new 22" widescreen. Its a Samsung SyncMaster 225 BW, i havent been able to located reviews for it unfortunatly... but i havent had any problems as of yet. but its a major change from 15" :D
this has gotten me thinkin, i dont know the first thing bout LCDs. :(
what is ghosting? i have seen it before on low quality LCDs and its bad, not sure if have that problem or im just too happy with the monitor to notice. Anyone know of a LCD optimization guide online or a program so i can get the most out of it.
thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Alf 'what is ghosting?'
It's when you get the image & also a shadow of the same picture, ie a persons body & next to them a shadow.
Well i think it is.:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
any pics or such? :)
the monitor has a supposed refresh rate of 5ms, thats supposed to be good- right?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Its kinda hard to tell if i have ghosting cause the screen is much larger than my old one. but if i focus on a certain area while moving it looks fine. (this is in game too)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf - you'd know if you had ghosting cos it's annoying as hell.

It's as if everything that's moving has a shadow of themselves attached, almost as if two identical images were placed over each other but out of sync.

And 5ms is good :thumb:

Glad you're enjoying your new TV, I hope to get myself one of those sometime this year but depends how the work goes.

And also whether or not I manage to get a ticket for the Glastonbury Festival of course ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
is it possible to burn in an image into the monitor? cause i noticed with one of my wallpapers has a bright starburst in it, after leaving the monter on for 20 mins, when ever theres nothing on the screen (when its black) i see a faint white blob were the starburst was. Is this normal? and if soo, i suppose it'lll go away?
Im not terriblely worried, as it doesnt affect game play at all- but i would rather have a problem free monitor :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, TFT's take some time to go back to a fully off state - don't worry about it. :) You can't burn anything in on a TFT in reality as far as I know :thumb:

I bet you notice a big difference from 15" to 22" :nod:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
theres much more to look at :D
i play most of my games at it max resolution, games look much sharper- except in Oblivion, framerate drop drastically :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats a sweet looking monitor Alf, I got a Viewsonic VX922 not longago, its only a little bit bigger but the difference is huge! Games look really good no too. :D

You wont see any ghosting on the screen mate, and Ian is right in saying TFT's dont suffer burn in. :thumb:

i noticed with one of my wallpapers has a bright starburst in it, after leaving the monter on for 20 mins, when ever theres nothing on the screen (when its black) i see a faint white blob were the starburst was. Is this normal? and if soo, i suppose it'lll go away?
If your worried, and i'm reading that right, why dont you change your desktop and see if it stops.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well i did yesterday.
i have a plain black wallpaper too see if it would go away. But it is still faintly visible :(
and its is especically visible when veiw off axis.... if anything i have 14 days to trade in if i find anything 'faulty'
perhaps it needs longer?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
ahhh, top and bottom of screen are a little brighter, backlight i suppose? i dont mind- its not too critical

Ask a Question