LCD displays snow periodically

Reaction score
Just built a new PC for a coworker of mine, was working great. He took it home and was using it and told me today this problem he was having. Every once in awhile the LCD monitor will display "static", or "snow", like on a TV when theres no channel. He cant access anything and has to restart the PC to fix it.

I havent look at it yet but im assuming its either a LCD, video cable, or video card, or possibly an overheating issue. I will switch all of these out to troubleshoot when i get to the system. Basically i just wanted opinions on the problem and to see if anyone here has encountered this before. Heres the system spec.

Windows XP Pro
AVG Free AV
Spybot S&D
Connects through Cable internet.

I cant remember the exact parts used but ill give an overview unless someone is really interested.

MSI motherboard with AM2 socket, PCI express slot.
Radeon X1600 512mb ram.
2GB DDR2 dual channel RAM.
Its a 19" LCD monitor, and i believe hes using the VGA cable.

Ill have him switch out the cable first for a DVI, then switch out video card and/or monitor.I installed the latest drivers for everything myself and it seems more a hardware problem to me. Let me know what you think.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be the video card. Swap it for one thats know to work. :)

Ask a Question