new dvd burner not recognized

django b

Hello
I just upgraded to a new DVD burner on a dell dimension 4300 with xp
professional

i got an error 19 on my secondary IDE channel not being recognized as
follows "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.
(Code 19)"

I tried the upperfilters and lowerfilters trick as described here but
it didnt work :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314060

i tried disabling any service that could cause redundancy on my dvd
drive

also i switched back to my old cd rom drive, but the error remained,
and i cant even use that one anymore

also i uninstalled the secondary channel from the device manager, and
on reboot, the computer recognizes not only the channel but also the
DVD drive, but i still cannot access it. on first reboot, the seconday
channel appears recognized and the dvd is not, and on reboots after
that, the secondary channel is not recognized.

i tried using samsungs drive access and diagnostic tools, but it does
not recognise any drive in the machine

any ideas anyone ?

django b

Try a System Restore to a point before you upgraded the Dvd Burner."django b" <[email protected]> wrote in message

thak you for your response Rich
unfortunately system restore had been disabled for an unknown reason

is there any other way to edit the registry and get back my DVD drive
functionning ?

Thank you

GHalleck

django said:
thak you for your response Rich
unfortunately system restore had been disabled for an unknown reason

is there any other way to edit the registry and get back my DVD drive
functionning ?

Thank you

Manual editing might not be a good route to follow. However, it might
be possible to re-set the Registry. Remove the DVD burner and start
Windows. Turn off computer. Re-install the DVD burner, according to
the manual, being careful about where/how to attach it to the IDE
cable and jumpering. (Hopefully, the DVD burner was not damaged by
improper installation or set up.) Re-start Windows. Good luck.

smlunatick

Manual editing might not be a good route to follow. However, it might
be possible to re-set the Registry. Remove the DVD burner and start
Windows. Turn off computer. Re-install the DVD burner, according to
the manual, being careful about where/how to attach it to the IDE
cable and jumpering. (Hopefully, the DVD burner was not damaged by
improper installation or set up.) Re-start Windows. Good luck.

Did you check the drive jumpers in order for the Master/Slave settings
to be correct?

GHalleck

smlunatick said:
Did you check the drive jumpers in order for the Master/Slave settings
to be correct?

I would certainly do so although I am not sure whether or not the OP
did this. Moreover, with many IDE cables and IDE devices being set
up for Cable Select, I am equally unsure whether or not the average
home user may be aware of the subtleties of master/slave settings
versus cable select, something that can be easily overlooked by the
unwary.

django b

Turn off computer. Re-install the DVD burner, according to
i did just that actually, i even reinstalled the original one... but
it still was not recognized. the registry settings did not change, nor
did they revert back to their original settings.
home user may be aware of the subtleties of master/slave settings
versus cable select, something that can be easily overlooked by the
unwary.

yes, i did check on jumper settings. the original drive was set on
Cable Select, so i did the same to the new drive. i tried Master even,
but that didnt change anything.

How on earth can i get my Secondary IDE to be recognized ???????

Ghostrider

django said:
Turn off computer. Re-install the DVD burner, according to

i did just that actually, i even reinstalled the original one... but
it still was not recognized. the registry settings did not change, nor
did they revert back to their original settings.

yes, i did check on jumper settings. the original drive was set on
Cable Select, so i did the same to the new drive. i tried Master even,
but that didnt change anything.

How on earth can i get my Secondary IDE to be recognized ???????

Is the secondary IDE channel still showing as enabled in bios setup? Also,
is it a true PATA IDE connector or an E-IDE one? They look the same but
what is its color code, i.e., blue, black or red? What happens when the
DVD drive is made the slave to the IDE HD on the primary IDE controller?

django b

Is the secondary IDE channel still showing as enabled in bios setup? Also,
is it a true PATA IDE connector or an E-IDE one? They look the same but
what is its color code, i.e., blue, black or red? What happens when the
DVD drive is made the slave to the IDE HD on the primary IDE controller?

Hey Ghostrider, thanks for your questions.

- the secondary channel is still showing as enabled in the bios.
- i have no access to the primary IDE controller, i'd have to take the
whole setup apart
- the connector that connects to the drive is black. which one would
that make it and what are the implications ? (if it were blue, would
that make a big difference ?)

Ghostrider

django said:
Hey Ghostrider, thanks for your questions.

- the secondary channel is still showing as enabled in the bios.
- i have no access to the primary IDE controller, i'd have to take the
whole setup apart
- the connector that connects to the drive is black. which one would
that make it and what are the implications ? (if it were blue, would
that make a big difference ?)

The implications of the colors are these:

Blue-to-blue or blue-to-master.

Black-to-black or black-to-slave.

Easy to confuse when using Cable Select.

Blue is usually the color for the Primary IDE connector; black,
the Secondary IDE connector (if equipped).

Hope we are not going adrift on this as one really needs to see
how/where the cables are connected and going.

django b

Blue-to-blue or blue-to-master.

Black-to-black or black-to-slave.

Easy to confuse when using Cable Select.

Blue is usually the color for the Primary IDE connector; black,
the Secondary IDE connector (if equipped).

Hope we are not going adrift on this as one really needs to see
how/where the cables are connected and going.

i see,
well that definitely is the secondary IDE then, as the connector is
black, and it is the one that is being disabled.
The primary IDE goes to the HD from which the computer boots up.
but again, when i switched back to the original CDRom (Cable Select),
the error remained, and the machine could not even recognize that one.
I suppose that indicates that registry settings (error 19) had been
messed up upon switching.