New Deskop Advice or Laptop.

Reaction score
Hey, i'm looking for a new Desktop and have abudget of around £1400, tho a bit less would be nice. Looking for the best I can get and want it to be able to handle graphics quite well. I ahve found these two but really am not sure how good they are http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00219715.pdf for about £1100 and this one for same price http://maxxpc.com/maxx-computers-GG1777.html tho on the second one i can upgrade the graphics card to 256mb for a total cost of £1,231.99. What are people's opinions/advice on these machines.

I was planning on getting this laptop http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/asp/product.asp?recorprod=1&product=117&cat=79 Acer Aspire 1714SMi. I would really prefer a laptop but the lack of being able to upgrade has put me off a bit tho. A laptop would be helpful as i may be moving about a bit and using it in deifferent places tho not on the go etc and really have a lack of space.

I will be using the machine to do 3d max work and using it for games, tho work is more important! wht do people think?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the compaq pc sounds the best of the three on the specs and upgrade side of things but on the laptop desktop choice that is up to you

Reaction score
The only reason to buy a laptop as far as i am concerned is if you HAVE to use your computer on the move. Even lack of space isnt such an issue now with tft screens. If you buy a laptop then you will have to buy as much as possible right now cause upgrading a laptop is a nightmare. My advice, desktop all the way!!

Reaction score
No way!!!

Laptop's rule...

My advise: pick yourself up a nice dell! - or evan more reliable - an apple!

KGB

Reaction score
The choice is all yours...

Upgrade ability - desktop
Portability - laptop

For a home PC i would personally opt for a desktop as problems and parts would be easier to to deal with.. (eaiser to fiddle with) plus i think it would feel better in a home

For work (depending on what you do).. then a laptop sure there cool and powerfull these days look nice too...

Why not get a decent Desktop for home use.. and a cheapy laptop(if there is such a thing) for work.. and if need be you could wireless network the two... the best of both worlds :)

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
No way!!!

Laptop's rule...

Are you mad?! Laptops are more expensive, harder to upgrade, you end up plugging a mouse in anyway so whats the point? If you move about, laptop, if not then desktop. End of story. ;-)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
If you want it for gaming, there is no question of which to choose. A desktop is ALWAYS gonna be better for gaming than a laptop. There cheaper, easier to upgrade and have a hell of alot more to upgrade to. New graphics cards comming out on a regulaur basis etc etc.

If your not buildig yourself i would try either Dell , Overclockers or Aria. There all pretty cheap and are known for good customer support. Try and steer clear of Tiny, they couldnt give two sh!ts about you after they've got your money.
But i would definatly try and build yourself. If you ever need help you can post on here no matter how small the problem. Theres lots of advatages of building yourself. You'll build up a technical knowledge, save money and build a PC 100% to your satifaction, every part is what you wanted and how you want it to be ;).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
This subject has been beaten to death so to say not just on this forum but so many others.

If desktops were portable nobody would buy laptops
If laptops could do justice to gaiming needs, nobody would buy desktops.

I have a high spec laptop as well as high spec desktop based on my needs and both are used for different purpose.

Reaction score
i only have a high-spec laptop, it is better than any desktops i used to have...

i can use it anywere, in the lounge with the TV on, in the office with the radio...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
i only have a high-spec laptop, it is better than any desktops i used to have...

i can use it anywere, in the lounge with the TV on, in the office with the radio...
Which one are you using, if I may ask?

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:

I bet if you bought a high spec desktop it would also be better than any desktops you used to have! :p

You can get TV and Radio on computers now a days! :)

Reaction score
AMD or Intel?

I am looking at purchasing a laptop because i am on the go and dragging my heavy pc around doesnt not work. I need it for gaming and gaming only. I know what graphics card and how much ram to put it but i am wonder if any one can give me advice on a processor. I have seen one like the Pentium M adn The Amd Turion, but am unfamilliar with those. I have always been taught that the amd 64 bit technology is fast. I have been able to find laptops with the Amd 64 X2 chips in them, but I was just wondering if any one could advise me about those other chips.

Ask a Question