Network's

Reaction score
Hi i am trying to network two computers together but the other computer can't see mine on the workgroup, and i can see his but not access it
also i can ping his and he can ping mine

we are both on windows xp going through a router

any suggestions will be very helpful thanks

also for some reason he can't actually open the create small network wizard

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.

;)

Reaction score
once you go through the setup it should be easy, but i had the same problem too with my my lan party MB.

Reaction score
ive used the network wizzard a dozen times on both computers
but it still comes up like that
now i can't 'see' my brothers computer. the wizzard seems to work normally, no error messages or anyhting unusual seems to come up.
its a mystery
GDREW

Reaction score
If you can get to the end of the setup wizard on 1 computer, at the end of the wizard, it wll say 'create a network setup disk' check this & insert a floppy, then put the floppy in the other PC, run the program and see what happenes.

KGB

Is it a wired network or a wireless?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you made sure all the PCs are part of the same "workgroup". You could try accessing the other PC from your end by typing:

\\(computername) in explorer and see what happens. For example "\\Graham"

Reaction score
nevermind ive fixed it now, i did use a network setup disc, to put it on the other computer.
it still didn't let me access certain files on his computer, so i moved the files to another location out of his documents, and it works fine now, basicly it was access permisions that was wrong but now its out of his ocuments folder, and in shared documents rather than under a shared folder in his documents it seems to work, no restrictinos on access.

thank you for your support

GDREW

Reaction score
if you right click on the icon for "My Documents" then click properties, you get a new window pop up. If you then click the tab labelled "Sharing" you can find all the options to do with accessing files in "My Documents" over the network.

Just tell it to allow access and modifications to files and it should act just like a normal folder.

That should fix your problem with accessing the My Documents bit.

Chris

Ask a Question